Friday, May 02, 2008

Flashback Friday

Today's post dates back to 1994-1995.

During the *glory days* of high school, I attended just 4 'formal' dances. I dug out these pics to post for today's flashback Friday (which, by the way, was quite funny because my girls were like "mommy, why are you with that boy and not daddy?" and it's still funny to me that they don't think Tucker and I ever existed as anything but their mommy & daddy!)

Anyway......do you notice the similarity in all the pics? (besides me of course)

Prom 1994


Winter Formal (I think?) 1994

Sadie Hawkins 1995

Prom 1995



Yep, the same date for all four dances! The whole story might be semi-boring to share, but basically Brad was one of the "gang", one of my really good friends growing up....who I also happened to have a pretty big crush on. I think most people have that one *biggest* crush in high school. Other guys came and went, but to me he always trumped them. Anyway, we dated on and off and ended up going to four dances together. For one of the proms, he even came up to go with me while I lived in Stockton, CA for a semester! Ahhh, what a story that is....huh Katie & Tara?

Now that I'm closer to experiencing high school from a mom's point-of-view than I am to my own memories of the past....I find myself reflecting often on "how will I handle this-n-that". And I would definitely encourage my girls to go to each dance with a different guy and just have un-attached fun (which I'm sure my parents did, but I was one-track-minded). I can hardly think of a single good thing that can come from dating someone exclusively in high school (at least in my experience!). It's all about care-free-and-safe fun right?

By the way, its hard for me to look at these pics and not want to reach in the picture and fix my hair and make-up better! The picture in the white dress, I actually got my hair professionally done and came home and completely re-fixed it because I hated it! Fun times.

10 comments:

Melvin and Carly said...

Ooh, the suspense! I'm expecting big things.

Beth said...

Love looking at those pictures. My prom dress in 94 and yours are very similar!!!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize that you went to all the dances with Brad- pretty funny. Of course your parents wouldn't want you going with Joey. I am glad you met Tucker though or you might be living in Corcoran with the Davis's and their other two kids HEE HEE.

Tara said...

I remember being so jealous because you were alowed to wear dresses I couldn't wear. Ooooh ya, THAT prom.....uh, I don't know what to say about that night. I juat have to laugh. All I know is it scares me what I have to deal with Jade, and in the next 5 years! I know I will NEVER let my daughter's date sleep over, even in a group party sleep over. It's just hillarious now, but it won't be when it's Jade or Jordyn. :) Sorry, maybe TMI?

Janessa Couch said...

I remember for one of my proms you did my hair and makeup. I loved it. I found the pictures the other day. It is fun to look back at old pictures from the good ole days.

Jamie and Family said...

Ha ha ha, Janessa I remember that!! I think I made you look like me because that is all I knew how to do! Too funny.

People must have really trusted me because I did Brittany's hair on her wedding day and Karli's hair for her bridals. I did another roomates too. Who else? Who knows. So funny.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I love your flashback friday posts and I also had a very similar prom dress. This post is so fun!!

britt said...

Oh the flashbacks of Corcoran High! Those days REALLY feel like another life time ago. Your hairstyle changed more than I remember.
Yes you were quite trusted in the hair department...better than by some stranger at a salon, right?!
Good times and memories. Boy have we all changed!

Chris Grover said...

oh how funny! seriously, how funny! that feels like a lifetime ago, and yet isn't it funny to think back on how high school felt like LIFE ETERNAL in those days?! like there was nothing else in the world that mattered! haa! it's not surprising that we have all trusted you with our hair, by the way, because you always deliver! thanks for this awesome flashback! by the way, did anyone NOT have a crush on b.d.?

sosilly said...

Oh that Brad. Cute and had a way with you. Thank goodness it wasn't Joey or Brad!!!!!
YaHOOOOO for Tucker
Gotta love DAT man!
MOM