Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Date With Jo

Having three kids means I don't get much one-on-one time with each of them. Especially with the older two, it's always "girls, stop!" or "girls, come here" or "good job girls". They are lumped together because they ARE always together. But I love to get to know their unique traits and spend time with them where I'm not being the referee.

So yesterday, my cute 6 year old Jordyn and I had a little date. We went to Applebee's for lunch. She always insists on Chili's (which is usually great to me!) but I wanted to try Applebee's since Daddy wasn't with us and he WON'T go there. I assured her they had Boneless Buffalo wings, which is all she cares about. It was really fun to just talk and laugh and see her personality shine. She even asked me "Mom, why are you staring at me?". I guess she REALLY isn't used to one-on-one time with me, huh?


Jordyn LOVES buffalo wings! It's so funny! She definitely takes after mommy and daddy in this one.

I didn't get a picture of our dessert. But I gave her the choice between See's Candies or ice cream, and she chose ice cream, so we went to Cold Stone and she picked cotton candy ice cream with M&Ms (yum). She was very perplexed at how "different the M&Ms tasted" and asked why they were so hard and crunchy. I explained that's what they're like when they're frozen. She didn't like them as much as normal (neither do I, Jo).

Then we spent (too much) time at Target. She had fun the first half of our time there, but was tortured the second half. She was upset when I told her "we aren't buying Hello Kitty press on nails today". Apparently she "solved" that problem on her own because I found them zipped up in my purse when I went to pay! So, we've now had the opportunity to teach her a little more about honesty!


This is us on our way back home to the rest of the family after our fun date. Thanks Jordyn, for being a fun companion for Mom!! I love you so much sweetie!

10 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

I need to do better with one on one time with my girls. My sister rotates her children once a month between her and her husband for a date, so the kids get two special dates a year. I need to start something like that. What a fun date. As for the lesson learned at Target, I have not had to deal with that yet, but know it may soon come. I know you did a great job in teaching at that moment because she is smiling in the picture on the way home. :)

Carlotta said...

I don't like M&M's with ice cream either. YUCK! It sticks to your mouth , chalky almost. And always "fun" to teach kids those life values. Hmmm... Creative on her part :p . Oh kids what do you do. I think it is harder on the parents then them. I still remember some of my experiences on being honest. Man I will NEVER forget the pit in my stomach! YUCK! Nice to have alone time.

Carlotta said...

Oh and how FUNNY that she likes wings. That is odd for a kid her age!

britt said...

one on one time is definitely hard to come by. It is fun though when we DO get it!
And Ame well, we have had the honesty/stealing lesson a FEW times.

Tara said...

What a great time! I know, it's rare for me to get time with Jade, VERY rare. I need to be better at that. I love those "life lessons" we have to give our little kids, do they ever end? Jordyn looks so grown-up on those pictures!

Matt Worley said...

Some of my fondest memories are the individual dates we used to go on with my dad. He would let us pick whatever we wanted to do. I wish I could have had those moments with my mom too. it is nice that you are doing that!
-Katie

Unknown said...

Its nice having boys and a girl because I think it is easier to get one on one time. We have girls time and boys time. Then we switch. I know my kids really love it. She is definitely like her mom in the wing love. My kids wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole. They are too spicy

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I love this post. What a fun date!! I think it's a great idea. I'm planning on doing this with my kids. I just recently had my first date with Lauren and we both loved it. Jordyn looks like she had a fantastic time.

Eliza2006 said...

I'm sorry, but I love that she topped the evening off by letting you be the one to steal. That had me laughing!

Tiffany

Chris Grover said...

this is such a good idea and so important! i remember that time with my parents and it was really special! good job taking the time out of your busy life to do this!