Saturday, May 24, 2008

If You're Not on a Diet


Thanks to my Grandma Anderson, one of my favorite snacks is sourdough toast with lots of butter and creamy peanut butter smeared on it. Eat it right away while its hot, fresh and melty.... YUMMY! (Oh, and it goes really well with a Pepsi or Chocolate Milk, in my personal opinion)


As a kid, I'd look SO forward to the three-hour drive to her house ...maybe 3-4 times per year. I loved waking up and going into the kitchen to see what goodies Grandma had. She always had so many fun treats and yummy food. And she LOVED to feed us. So she'd immediately start making breakfast and it always included some variety of toast. I can vividly remember sitting across the bar from her and watching her spread about 5 tablespoons of butter onto each slice of toast - all the while telling me that "there's nothing better than real butter".


I recall my mom making toast a lot too - and also with lots of butter and peanut butter. I remember school mornings when I was in Jr High - filled with the chaos of five young children - my mom would frequently make a 6-slice-high tower of wheat toast. Each piece adorned with butter and peanut butter, and then sliced into four pieces. We'd all run by and grab a few pieces as we were getting ready for school.


So toast is a long-time friend of mine. And being a total bread/carb person, I live the opposite of a low carb/high protien diet. And sourdough is definitely my favorite!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the same memories of both my grandmas. My grandma Harris NEVER bough store bread. She made 5 loaves every Monday. My grandma Clark LOVES real butter and I always looked forward to the treats she had for us when we visited. Good times.....

Katie said...

I love me some sour dough bread! My grandma used to MAKE from scratch sour dough bread and it was Heaven. Now that she is gone, I haven't been able to have that experience in a long time. Maybe I should learn to make it.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Sounds delicious!! I have been blessed in partaking of Grandma's bread and butter. It's the best!How can people live without carbs???

Mike & Lindy said...

I LOVE that video you have on the side of your blog! I didn't see it when it was on TV. I really like that song.
I also have those memories of grandma. I always remember her saying, "If it doesn't have the full fat, it's not worth eating!"

Tara said...

Have you tried toast with Nutella yet? That's one of my favs, as well as the butter and chunky peanut butter. Thanks for coming to the reception, it meant to much to see you! (I can't wait to see the picture you took of us, I think I have one of us in the same place in the garden, same position, from my wedding)