Friday, May 23, 2008

Funny Friday

I really love doing Flashback Friday. But I have to admit that I'm just not always prepared for it. You see, it either means I have to dig up and scan an old picture. Which is a lot of work when you have a laptop because you actually have to GET UP and move your laptop by the scanner. And that's especially hard when you have a laptop that lasts for about 97 seconds without being plugged in (so much for the portability convenience!). OR, I have to plug in my back-up hard drive. Which can also be more work than I'm in the mood for.

So, instead of Flashback Friday, I'm sharing a funny kid moment today and making it Funny Friday. Because, let's face it, my blog [or my life] has been rather depressing lately. With all this talk about friends moving and life changing and kids fighting. Ugh. Believe me, there really are funny moments mingled in all the sadness.

So here's one:

A few days ago I picked Jordyn and Emma up from Kindergarten. I always give Emma a ride home. And every single time, she takes forever to get out of the car. Forever. She first wants to eat every crumb we have in the car, and then she asks if she can come over and play. Some days, we have dance or piano, so we can't. Other days, there are other reasons we are busy, so we just can't. But she still insists "but PLEASE, I can just play in Jordyn's room by myself!". I often have to resort to "Emma, please get out of the car. We REALLY need to go!". She's a cute little girl. Just very persistant.

Anyway, so on this particular day I said yes, so she ran in the house to ask her dad if she could come over. While she was gone, I watched her older sister rinse off paint brushes outside. So when she got back in, I asked "are you guys painting your house?".

She looked at me in amazement and said "how did you know?". Then she said "Oh, you have those mom ears and you could hear us all the way in the house, right?".

I laughed it off and said "Uh huh".

A few minutes later Jordyn - who had been quiet - sheepishly said, "Mom, does that mean you can hear when I'm on a time out in my room and I say bad words?".

I wanted to bust up laughing!!! Ha ha ha, talk about confessing! I said "well, sometimes I can honey". And she just got an embarrassed look on her face. Like she'd been caught.

OH, the power moms have. Kids really do think we are magic!

6 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Thanks for the great laugh. When my girls were little I told them that if they lied that I could see a mommy dot on their forehead and only mommy could see it. There were many times that they would come into the room hiding their forehead when they were lying so that I could not see their mommy dot. Kids are so funny.

Jamie and Family said...

Janessa - I love it and will steal your idea!!!! We've been dealing with lying here lately :-)

Matt Worley said...

That was a good laugh. I love the story. Kids are so clever and yet, can be so naive. Thanks for the funny Friday!

Matt Worley said...

That is me, not matt
-Katie

britt said...

I love the "mommy dot". I too may need to use that! And Jme I remember Karli always telling me I HAD mom ears, and know i really know what it means...we really can hear everything! And what BAD words does Jordyn really know??

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Thanks for the story!! It was too funny. Ahh have to love those mom ears!!