Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Just What I Need














For a few months now I have been the proud owner of tickets to the New Kids on the Block reunion concert. And now that weekend has arrived, and the timing couldn't be more perfect!

Back in 1990, I went with my friends Shana, Melinda and Jammie to see the New Kids in concert in Los Angeles. I will never forget the level of anticipation or excitement we felt for that concert! Our parents even let us get out of school early (7th or 8th grade) so we could spend a couple hours getting ready for the big show! Shana has the pictures somewhere....so hopefully we can find those....but I distinctly remember getting ready at Shana's house and curling my hair just perfectly. As I put on my navy blue rayon top with matching MC Hammer style pants, I envisioned how fun it was going to be when Donnie saw me and just KNEW he had to invite us backstage to hang out with them (I was 13, mind you). We drove three hours just to get there, and sang every word to every song and just basked in the love.

Corny? YES. Fun? YES

So who would have EVER thought that nearly 20 years later....the New Kids would re-unite and that somehow me, Shana, Melinda and Jammie would gather to re-create this memory?

Not me.

But I am SO excited. Both for the concert....for a weekend away....and for time with these girls.

But there will be a few differences from last time. It's in San Jose. I'm getting ready at Shana's house again, but this time her husband Derek will be there (making fun of us), and her little baby girl will be kicking in her belly to the beat of the music. Jammie's mom won't be driving us. And I won't be wearing rayon in any form OR MC hammer pants. My hair won't be curled even a little. And I won't be envisioning Donnie asking us to hang out back stage (ok, maybe just a little). I will be wondering how my three kids are doing at home. And hoping my husband remembers to feed them (just kidding).

But fun? YES. I'm so excited.

One question. Should I wear this cool shirt that I bought at the last concert?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so funny- I never jumped on board because you guys became obsessed when I lived in Utah for a while. Have fun and tell the girls "hi"

Beth said...

For sure wear the old Tee. HAve a fun weekend!!!

Tabitha said...

That is some funny crap! I remember when they came to Provo and I spent every dollar I had getting buttons out of the 50 cent machine and plastering them all over our new kids shirts and cut off jean shorts before the concert! I think I mostley loved them because of Tiffany (who had a major crush on Joey)... I was more of a Jordan fan myself, rats tail and all..LOL! And YES you should wear the shirt and if it were me I would go all 80's on them! Make it a night to remember! I love it!

britt said...

that is one awesome memory! Great you get to re-create it again...AS AN ADULT!!
Have fun!

Melvin and Carly said...

Oh oh oh oh-o! Do you think they'll break out their old dance moves? If you can still fit in a shirt that you wore at age 13, then you BET you should wear it! You got the right stuff, baby! Hope you have a great time.

Chris Grover said...

oh man, can you blow a kiss to joey for me?! chris gets the biggest kick out of my old love for them too, especially when i refer to them by their acronym -- nkotb! i will be thinking of you singing "please don't go, girl"! HAVE FUN!

Eliza2006 said...

Give Joey a kiss for me. I just knew I was going to marry him and have his children.

Tiffany

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Oh man I'm jealous!! You have to wear the shirt~~ oh I so love Joey!!

The Royalty Family said...

I was never a huge fan of NKOTB. But I knew who they were of course. However, when there was talk of a reunion, Chuck had no idea who they were. It's times like that when I realize I married an old man.