Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympic Fun

We've really loved watching the Olympics this year! I think my favorites are the diving and the gymnastics. The swimming is incredible (Go Phelps and Torres....) but oh my gosh, it gives me anxiety. I mean, to lose by one one-hundreth of a second? No way, that would totally kill me.

As a kid, we always watched the Olympics in our house. I remember when I first found out that the Olympics only lasted a few weeks....I was shocked! I could've sworn it was on half of the year! That's probably because when its on, its ON. ALL the time. That's all our TV has been tuned to since it began.

The "closest" I've been to the Olympics were the SLC Winter Olympics in 2002. We were lucky enough to have Tucker's Mom on the Olympic Committee, the education department. We got free tickets to so many events, including the Opening AND Closing Ceremonies! Tucker loved every single second of it, and I tried as hard as I could, but unfortunately I was really sick and pregnant with child #1 and that ruled every waking moment for me.

And now, Tucker's brother Derek lives in China (he's a professional stunt diver) and we got a text that he's on his way to Beijing now! Lucky.

By the way, I really have never seen anything like the Olympic Racewalking. Really. It is quite a sight to see, and a bit strange. Their bodies move in ways I have never seen before! If you haven't seen it, check it out...
(racewalking.com)

5 comments:

britt said...

We have been WAY into the olympics this year too (more than years past I think) and our kids are quite taken by it too!
Every single event and athlete is just amazingly outstanding! I can't imagine being THAT talented in something?!

*Jessica* said...

We have been up until at least one in the morning watching, and plan our evenings around the olympics. The girls have been staying up late as well. Thank goodnes they do this in the summer so we can all sleep in.

Tara said...

Ditto! We had everyone over tonight for Enos and Jade's BD's and all we did was watch the Olympics. This is a great year isn't it? What I wouldn't give to be in China right now.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

We are loving the Olympics. If it were up to me I would watch the coverage all day long.

Chris Grover said...

yeah, we have major olympic fever too this year! but seriously, where did all these sports come from. there are so many that i NEVER knew existed in the olympics! speed walking, sychronized diving, etc. interesting stuff!