Friday, February 29, 2008

Freckled and Fair




Having red hair and freckles is an interesting thing.


It really is.


When I was little (acutally, I still get it today....especially with two other redheads in tow!), I caught the attention of a LOT of old(er) people:


"Where'd you get that RED hair?"
"You know, my youngest son has red hair"
"Before my husband was grey, he had bright red hair just like you!"
"Look at that beautiful hair!"



As I got a little older, what I wanted was to catch the attention of boys! But the more tan and blonde my friends were, the more white and freckle-y I felt!



Admittedly, it was hard for me. I used plenty of sunless tanning lotion and makeup to cover-up what I thought were flaws. My mom would tell me over and over that "white is vogue, Jamie, white is vogue".




My friends would roll their eyes because every single time we'd see a redhead I'd immediately ask "Is that the color of my hair?" I wanted so badly to know how I stood in comparison to the rest of the population. I grew up in an area of California where red hair was rare, so I didn't see many of "my kind" around me. And since there are no red heads anywhere in my family, I sort of felt like the odd man out.




In my life, I have seen plenty of both the not-so-hot redheads (the ones who give us a bad name) and beautiful redheads (the ones I'd pray to look like). And about a million times in my life I've wondered where I fall on the spectrum!




Now, at 30 years old, I can say that 98% of me honestly doesn't care and is COMPLETELY fine with having red hair, freckles and fair skin. Seriously. In fact, I like it! I say 98% because there is probably 2% of me that still occasionally day-dreams about being tan. And quite often, little children will ask me "why are there spots all over you?" and I'll feel an ever-so-slight brush of insecurity.


But I've learned that there are MANY different kinds of beautiful, and everyone's definition of beautiful is different!


And I caught the attention of the most important "boy" of all. Before I came around, Tucker always joked that he wanted to "find Ariel and marry her". Well, he did it! His mom had red hair and now we have daughters, nieces, nephews and cousins with red hair. I don't feel so "alone" anymore!



I found this interesting, a site dedicated to my "kind" : http://www.dougbarber.com/red/index.html

7 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Freckles---UGH! I hated them and would get teased about them. I have grown to not care the older that I get. I have always LOVED your hair and I have always thought that you are so beautiful. I am glad that you are proud of your hair, people dye their to look like yours! :)

Ashley and Brett said...

I absolutely loved this post! You are too funny... but most importantly, that was my life too! I remember me asking my friends the SAME hair question. And as badly as I wanted to be tan, my friend convinced me when we were in Bear Lake that if I just rub baby oil all over - it would work. I know you've been there and the sun is HOT... needless to say, it worked. I was a fried turkey! 3rd degree burns Aunt Lori said!

So I'm with you as I get older I care less and less... but that 2% I think will always stick around!

But I so do love the fact you brought more red heads into the family!!!

Tricia said...

I am with you on the red hair and freckles. Time has definitely allowed me to enjoy them more. I actually get so many comments on my hair and my kids hair that is impossible to not like it - but as a teenager I wasn't so happy about all the comments.

You are a very beautiful person - I love looking at your cute family.

Beth said...

It is interesting in our youth we always want what we don't have. but for me that has been one of the great things about maturing is not caring as much. I can relate to wanting to be tan. It just never worked for me, always red! You will be prepared for your girls now and their redheaded questions. Jordyn has red, and curls. She will think she is doubly cursed. But all the adults will know she is so lucky and beautiful!

Tara said...

Yes, in our youth, we ALWAYS wanted what we didn't have. I always wanted your boobs......oh wait, I still do! *;)* But we were always opposite, my flat-chested tanned self, your "curvy" and un-tanned self. It's one of the things I love about our friendship, we have always been opposite in so many ways, and that has been SO fun! Remember Weibke, she used to say that freckles are SOOOO beautiful and sexy. So natural, inviting, and unique as all get! You are the most beautiful red-head I know, and I love how unique your beauty is. Thank goodness you do not blend in with the crowd, your beauty stands out! (the rest of us are just ordinary, I had to chop my hair off to feel "unique") And that is a pretty cool site btw, makes me wish I could dye my hair red!

Jill said...

Jamie! I love your red hair! When Sydney had red (strawberry) hair as a baby, I was so excited! I have a bro with red hair and always loved it. (Sydney's hair is still beautiful, but now spun-gold blonde with red tones). I'm glad that 98% of you embraces the red! And if you were able to tan, someday you would look older than you are. With freckles, you always look young and beautiful!

Sydney said...

I echo the sentiments about the freckles--and when I get asked what all the spots, or "pecas" are on my skin by little kiddos, I just say that they are angel kisses =) And I agree--your clan of redheads is so cute!