Sunday, February 10, 2008

A (un)Typical Sunday Night

We get to live in the same town as my Mom and Dad, along with my two teenage siblings who live at home, and my Sister Lindy and her family. (Carly and Alyson are far away in Utah). Anyway, sometimes we see eachother a lot, and other times we get busy and it'll be a couple weeks between. Same with Sunday night dinners. There have been phases with my Dad bbq-ing at my parents' house, there have been phases of having dinner at my house, and there have been phases where we all do our own thing.

So tonight was a "bbq at the parents' house" night. The girls LOVE it when we get to go to Grandma and Grandpa's. Between Lindy's two and my three little ones, we create quite the ruckuss when we come over. Here's a sneak peak into our evening....along with a dramatic ending:


Dad's really got the barbequing down! Yummy!


Its hard not to bite this one!


Lindy and little weeble-wobble Paxton


Tucker playing with the kids. This was a nice, calm game of "throwing the pillow AT the kids"!


And a little game of Bingo


Kristy was quite focused and worked out while we all pigged out to dinner!


Grandma gave Peyton a great variety of food! Here's some chicken & veggie soup.....


....her OWN bowl of mashed potatoes!


.....and even her own chocolate ice cream cone!


Ryan and Tucker chatted a bit


and then the nice calm evening came to a screeching hault. Or I should say "screaming" hault! We were in the living room chatting and suddenly Jordyn came screaming and crying in the house "Lexi's getting hurt! Lexi's getting hurt!". My heart dropped and I immediately knew what had happened.



They were playing in the garage and found the key to the treadmill and turned it on. Lexi was caught between the treadmill and the garage door....and couldn't get out. We all ran out there, Tucker grabbed her and brought her in. And she screamed bloody murder for about 40 minutes while we tried EVERYthing we could think of to calm her burns. She had a big one on her leg, and then 10 smaller burns all over her body (elbows, fingers, legs, ankles, wrists...). It was so sad!!!! She was hysterical. We sprayed antiseptic spray, and held cold towels on her. I gave her tylenol and we tried to get her in a cold bath. After about 30-40 minutes, she had realized that the spray did take the edge off the burn (and the Tylenol kicked in) and let us spray a ton more. Then our wonderful friend "doctor Dane" came over with some stronger topical solution and ointment. How could we be so lucky to have a house call from Dane every time we're in crisis mode like this????


Poor, poor Lexi. She was so tired and so worn out from being so upset. Lyric and Jordyn were quite distraught...really everyone was. Its so sad to see your child in pain and not really be able to take it away. We all learned a good lesson, especially me. We got her all wrapped up and feeling a little better.

Whew! What a night! And THAT is a peek into a typical family get together....with a little twist at the end!

11 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so sad that, that happened. I feel like I need to go on a treadmill awareness mission of how dangerous they are for kids, even if your careful mothers like we are.

Unknown said...

Poor Lexi! I hate when my kids are in pain too. All three are so sick and I wish I could change it. Hopefully she will be better soon, probably pretty soar today.

Tara said...

Alyson on Josh are looking at this feeling SO sad for Lexi Lulu! I feel so bad for her! I reminded Josh, this is why I ALWAYS get upset with him when he plays on our treadmill, (he likes to be a monkey on it, and sometime turns in on). This was a wake-up call for him. Poor Lexi!

Alyson says "I hope you feel better Lexi! I miss you!"

Tara said...

oops, I mean "Alyson AND Josh" :)

Debbie said...

that last picture is so sad. i hope she feels better soon.

Chris Grover said...

what a scary accident and poor little lexi. i'm sure it was a huge comnbination of being really hurt and being really scared and shaken up. i'm glad she's ok though. there is always something interesting that happens when big family groups get together! keeps life interesting, i guess!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Poor little Lexi. How scary!!The last picture is heartbreaking. I hope she's feeling better soon!!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Poor little Lexi. How scary!!The last picture is heartbreaking. I hope she's feeling better soon!!

Grammy said...

Stuff like this (accidents) just come with having kids. It is no fun at all and we all feel bad and guilty. Just remember that it is not your fault. That's why it's called an "accident." She will survive and hopefully be a little wiser. Just give her lots of hugs. She is such a doll.

Carlotta said...

That seriously made me hurt. OUCH! I can't imagine what was going through her head. She is a tough nut.

Jill said...

Oh poor Lexi! Our little friend did that on her treadmill (she's a lot older, too) and was wrapped up for weeks! I'm hoping Lexi heals fast and pain free! Give her a little squeeze from us!