Wednesday, January 23, 2008

MORE Hawaiian Happiness

Speaking of Hawaiian things, have I mentioned that I'm part Hawaiian. Can't you tell? It must be my glowing white skin and freckles that throw you off.


Okay, Okay.....sadly, I am NOT of Hawaiian heritage, but I swear I'm spiritually part Hawaiian.


Hawaii is so much more than a group of islands and SO much more than a tourist spot to me. It is a place full of heart, full of love, and full of beautiful Polynesian people.


To back up for a minute. Back in 1977, my dad was serving in the US Navy and he and my mom were stationed in Honolulu, Hawaii. I was born at Tripler Army Medical Hospital. My parents spent their first few years of marriage across the ocean from their home in Southern California. I was nearly born while my Dad was stationed at sea!


Though I didn't live there long, I always felt a connection to Hawaii - and it was always fun to say "Honolulu, HI" when asked where I was born.
I didn't return until I was 21 years old. In the midst of my college years, and through a spontaneous turn of events, I uprooted myself out of my then-residence of Orem, Utah and followed my good friends Karli and Brittany to BYU-Hawaii near the beautiful North Shore of Oahu.


I will NEVER forget the day I moved there. I just packed up and MOVED to Hawaii. It was strange. My mom drove me to LAX and the nerves ran high as we missed the exit...arriving at the airport with like 20 minutes to spare. That was back in the day where my mom could have walked with me TO the gate (strange to think of that now), but we didn't have a second to spare so she let me off curbside with a big hug. I ran through the airport with tears streaming down my cheeks. It was all so fast and scary. I ran onto the plane, and realizing I wasn't sitting next to Karli and Brittany for the 6 hour plane ride to (what felt like) a foreign land, I cried a little more. A few minutes later, the flight attendant came up to me and said "Your mom said she loves you". I said "how?". He told me she'd run through the airport trying to catch up with me, and when she realized she'd missed me, she asked him to "tell the beautiful redhead her mom loves her". Isn't that sweet?

OK, so the sadness of leaving quickly died down and soon my mind was filled with total curiosity. What will it all BE like? (heavenly) What will it FEEL like? (hot and HUMID) What will it SMELL like? (plumeria and more heaven) What will it SOUND like? (beautiful ukulele music with silly lyrics. Oh, and the hum of the ocean)


From the moment I stepped off that plane, my heart was smitten. I was in love. What happened in the year that followed is for another post...or even a small book. I may have learned more about myself that year than any other pre-marriage year. I am so thankful to have had that experience. My heart is forever incomplete because I left a piece of it in Hawaii when I moved back.


I've been back to visit three times in the 8 1/2 years since I've been back. And I can hardly wait because next week will be make it four! Woohoo!!


We're going with Beth and her family, which will be perfect because she feels exactly like I do. Beth and I have been friends for 4 years. Really good friends. And of all the many things we have in common, two of the first we figured out were: 1) we share the same wedding anniversary 5/12/2000, and 2) we both went to BYU-Hawaii. It was a fairly spontaneous decision, but when she and Dane called a few weeks ago saying "you wanna go to Hawaii?", it was hard to pass up! They have a time share we can split with them (niiiiiccccee place, and cheap!) and we'd been looking at tickets anyway, so that was it! So four adults and 6 kids....should be chaotic and wonderful!


Aloha! And the countdown begins...

9 comments:

Chris Grover said...

Oh my gosh, I am glowing green right now with envy!! But soooo excited for you! Can you believe I haven't been back? It's almost disgusting! But be sure to take LOTS of pictures because then I will live vicariously through your trip! Oh I can't stand the feelings that you have stirred in me today thinking about how much I love that place! ALOHA!!!

Janessa Couch said...

One of these days I will make it to Hawaii. We planned on going for our 10 year anniversary, but since that is this year I guess we will have to wait. When we finally get to go we will appreciate it even more. :) HAVE FUN!

Tara said...

Have fun, get a good tan Jay! hehe

I remember going when I was a little girl, Jordyn will be making memories this time.

Looking forward to the pictures!!!

Eliza2006 said...

Lucky duck! I am so jealous. While I'm sitting in a foot of snow, you'll be basking in the sun! Have a great time. Soak up some sun for me!

Tiffany

britt said...

I too am soooo jealous of your trip coming up. We want to get back there again, either to visit or stay. Whichever opportunity arises first, we will definitely take!
Have fun. The kids will have a blast, as will YOU!

Jill said...

OH I'M JEALOUS! Especially as we sit in our 10 degree weather! Have a great time!

Beth said...

I'm having an internal scream right now! Don't want to wake the kids! I'm starting to let myself think about it and getting so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grammy said...

How exciting! I would love to go again. I have always felt that Hawaii is the most romantic place on the face of the earth. Katie, Julie and I want to take Rebecca when she graduates from high school - a "chick trip." I would also love to take Rod there as he has never been. Where can I find one of those illusive money trees???

Anonymous said...

I was almost born there too. My dad was convinced that the Navy was going to station him over there. My mom even sold her beloved car in preparation. Then for some reason he was assigned to San Diego instead. MJW was then born at the Balboa Navel Hospital.