Friday, January 11, 2008

Blogger Says

I've received quite a few emails asking me questions such as "do you have any tips on making my blog cuter?".

So, today, I thought I'd lay all of my 'vast' knowledge out here for the world to see.

First you must know....I don't know much! And what I DO know isn't really hard stuff. Its just that I have a bit of determination to figure it out. Even if that means to spend hours on my blog.... instead of on my homework.

Which brings me to another important point. You should really try working on your blog when you have something else really important you should be working on instead. Its a great distraction.

So, on to my point. I changed my blog AGAIN....hoping that it would be more viewable to all.

*****************************************************

Here are a few bullet point tips I have:
  • There are but a few cool sites that have FREE blogger templates. (The only downfall is they will delete any customization you've done to your blog, like links....but it will NOT delete the content of your posts). Cutest Blog on the Block, Pyzam, and Finalsense.
  • All these templates have the colors customized for you - but you CAN still go into your blog and change font colors...and sometimes font styles.
  • I personally think they make the blogs too narrow. So, if you want to try something that is a *tiny* bit challenging, you can go to the "Edit HTML" tab and change the codes to make it wider. I changed my header, outer, main and sidebar wrappers to the following sizes:
#header-wrapper {
width:870px;

#outer-wrapper {
width: 870px;

#main-wrapper {
width: 610px;

#sidebar-wrapper {
width: 200px;

  • Another tip: when you first change ANYthing in the HTML tab, do not click "save changes" until you are SURE you did it right. First, click "preview" and it will open a new tab and show you what those changes look like.
  • For my header, I always just mess around in Adobe Photoshop. It is a difficult program, but very fun once you learn the basics (thanks Tucker for teaching me and thanks Alex for teaching Tucker!). But any basic photo editing program will work. Then you just make sure you save the photo as a .jpg so you can upload it.
  • One more tip: If you know photoshop fairly well, you can go into your HTML code on your blog and find the background color # (it will say something like background color #553E3E). Then you can match the background of the header you are making in Photoshop by copying and pasting that same number into the color palate in Photoshop and it will be identical. Each color has a very specific number code.

Wow, I hope that all made any sense to any one. I'll add to this if I think of more......

6 comments:

julie said...

I love the new look and I can now read your blog on my computer! I definitely know about the distractions that keep you from doing your homework. I have only been back in school for one week and I am all ready behind from all the little things that seem to be more important

Ashley and Brett said...

THANK YOU!!! Your so wonderful. I think you have the cutest headers of all and I always want to make mine cuter. I know a bit about photoshop - and my sisters know a lot! I'll have to work on that. I love the new look! I actually saw this one and it's one of my favorites! But your header at the top made it too cute! I can read everything you write now and I'm so excited! Thanks for all your vast knowledge!

Katie said...

Love the look, and yes, I too can see all of the text. Thanks for the tips. I will have Matt translate them and then hopefully I can spif up my blog a bit!

Katie said...

Love the look, and yes, I too can see all of the text. Thanks for the tips. I will have Matt translate them and then hopefully I can spif up my blog a bit!

Tara said...

I just found another way cute blog template site. www.suckmylolly.com

It has really cool retro templates. You should check it out. The pyzam one is good too, but I hate all the advertisements, it was hard to let Jade browse them and try to distract her from the sidebars, I ended up being the one to scroll so I could avoid all that extra crap.
Thanks for all the info, especially the codes!

Love your new look, except, ahem, your oldest friend's blog is NOT on your list! fix it woman! :)

Jamie and Family said...

tara, oh my gosh! i will add it right this second. how did I miss that!!!???