Saturday, January 19, 2008

Milestones: A Little Less Baby



It happened so fast, I forgot to blog about it.

(Imagine that.)

The bottle. It's gone! And I didn't even really try.

See, I've neve really stressed about my kids having a bottle. I actually LIKE them to have a bottle. I think they need that sucking and comfort, and since I never really breastfeed past like 6 or 7 months, it makes me feel like they still get to be a baby and satisfy their sucking needs.

But by the time they are 1 year old, I have the "what is socially acceptable" monster lingering in my mind telling me they should be DONE with that horrible, sinful bottle. But, honestly, I DON'T CARE. I really don't. I'll say it for the world to hear: I like bottles.

But obviously, they can't be around forever.

Jordyn was probably 2 1/2 when I finally transitioned her to a sippy cup permanently. Wasn't too hard. Just stole Beth's idea of a new sippy cup and calling it a "big girl ba ba". Next...Lexi was the one I was most scared of because she was a bottle-addict. I just knew she'd have withdrawal symptoms - you know, the shakes, sweats, hallucinations. I dreaded it and had nightmares about it. Finally, when she was 2 years and 2 months old, I just DID IT. We actually lost her last bottle. So I had her help me look for it and we honestly couldn't find it! It was hard for about 1 1/2 days, and then it was over! Really, NOT so bad.

Peyton likes her bottle, but hasn't been as addicted as Lexi. So I haven't stressed about it too much, and since she's just 14 months old, I wasn't really planning to worry about it for a while.


And then it just happened. Two weeks ago, I was checking out at k-mart (hate that store) and there were two Nuby sippy cups misplaced by the stand. They looked bottle-ish (where she could still get the sucking) but they were a step-up. I thought "what the heck" and grabbed them. That night, I gave Peyton some milk in the new cup instead of her bottle. I thought she'd throw it and cry. Instead, she merely examined it a bit, acted a bit hesitant, and then just drank it. So, from that point on, I just never gave her the bottle again.

Its been a breeze! Its nice not to have that "hump" in front of me, and to know that she's perfectly happy with it. But, it also makes me a little sad, to be honest. It's just one more step out of baby-hood. I wish I could slow it all down just a little.

And now my almost-toddler loves pretty much any sippy cup. Especially if it's her sister's!






3 comments:

Beth said...

you really did give me a big shock when I found out that she doesn't have a bottle anymore. Aren't we suppose to do those things together? I'm just jealous.

Chelley said...

baby steps and then they are running!

Tara said...

Can I just say how much I LOVE her red hair!?! She is such a big girl! You are a great mom and letting them lead the way through milestones at their own pace is super. It is sad when we try to push them into or out of something when they just are not ready, only because other people say they should be doing such and such at a certain time. I am so glad you are not that kind of mom. You Rock!