Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Thoughts I Think

Today I was at Costco (not an uncommon thing).


I was standing in front of the peanut butter. [First, you must know that I tend to turn small decisions into big, time consuming decisions]. Organic or Regular? Regular or Organic?

Such a HUGE decision, as you are aware. Now, I wouldn't consider myself a health FREAK, but I do err on the side of healthy when possible. The main difference in Organic vs. Regular peanut butter is Palm Oil vs. Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.


The other difference is that my kids don't like the Organic. And I figure, would I rather their sandwich be healthy but not in their tummies? Or not-as-healthy but IN their tummies? Hmmmm.
Today I bought the Regular peanut butter. I figure the ounce of peanut butter they have 1-2 times per week won't shed years off their life. But who knows? Next time I need peanut butter, and I'm making that critical decision....I may choose Organic? Depends on my mood.


And those are the (important) thoughts I think.

8 comments:

Tara said...

I'm with you on wanting kids to eat, but you never know, if you keep making them try it, once a week or so, they will grow accustomed to the taste. Case in point, Joshua downed 10 pieces of california rolls at a sushi place this week, and Jade eats sashimi. I had them both start out with one bite here and there (not always enthusiastic), and now they love it! If you really want them to get used to organic, keep making them try a little here and there. This method totally works!

Anonymous said...

HEY im SOOOO excited for our little, haha just kidding, BIG roadtrip, yaaaaaaaaaaa

Eliza2006 said...

I've started trying to buy most everything organic...unless it's the same price as my mortgage payment! With that said, Eliza eats WAY more mac and cheese (it's homemade though) than I would have predicted pre-kids.

Tiffany

Chris Grover said...

At this point my trips to Costco usually consist of "where's the cheapest dog food, since my pup eats 50 lbs in like 3 weeks" kind of decisions. I get the analyzing on small decisions, though. I do that WAY too much! But mmmm, Skippy sure is good!

britt said...

I spend way too much time trying to make decisions like that too, cuz when it comes down to it I am the one making these kinds of decisions for the kids, Quinn could care less. I do like to try and get them to eat as healthy as I can, but we all know how that goes with little ones.

ps I sent that gift card back yesterday. enjoy it!

Jill said...

Have you tried Adam's PB? A trainer once told me that's all she would eat because it's as close to natural as you can get (?). We like the no stir kind. Not at Costco...sorry. Also, I agree with the first comment...our kids try everything and LOVE sushi/sashimi, all sorts of seafood, and Brandon will eat ANYTHING. Isn't it crazy how exciting feeding our kids can be? J

Jamie and Family said...

Thanks for the thoughts! I thought I'd also add that I *think* we use more peanut butter than the average family because of the blender drinks (I posted about). I prob make like 4 per week, with heaping tablespoon or two each time.

But I agree and appreciate the reminder/encouragement to get kids to eat new things. Haven't given them sushi yet (prob cuz I don't like it) but they love salmon! :-)

Anonymous said...

Skippy has a new "No Stir" natural PB that has no Partially Hydrogenated oil. It's SO yummy and the same price as the regular stuff. I got mine at Target and my Costco sometimes carries the stuff.