Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Happy Birthday Mom!

For the past few years, it seems that my mom has been reflecting more and more on her mom. She admires how energetic my grandma was when she came to visit, or how helpful she was when my mom had her babies. She remarks at how Grandma remembered to send a card for every single birthday and holiday (with a $20 in it, that was the best). I think my mom is at an age where she is really identifying with her mom. And over the years as Grandma has become elderly and less healthy, my mom's role has evolved into a nurturer for her mother. My mom now frequently calls her and their conversations are about Grandma's cat, Becky, and how the lastest Wheel of Fortune was, when her next nail appointment is and if she's eating good......things in HER world, which is becoming smaller than it used to be. My mom loves when she calls and it's a "good day" for Grandma.

I always try to explain to my mom that the way she unconditionally loves, admires, is concerned for her mother is the SAME way that I (we) feel about HER. She is absolutely the biggest role model in my life. The person she is and the things she has taught me are completely weaved through me and are the foundation for the life I live. But I don't think its easy for her to "get it". That I love her like she loves her mom.....and I understand that it's a hard concept because it's hard for me to grasp that I am MOM to my kids the way MY mom is to me. It's an amazing thing and I am so thankful to be my mom's daughter.

Last night it was P-A-R-T-Y time to celebrate. Of course we had divine BBQ by "Master Mike" and I made a yummy chocolate cake (which is all my mom truly wants for dinner anyway). It was lots of fun (and we missed you Kristy, Carly and Alyson)! And tonight I think Lindy and I have convinced mom to go to the movies with us. We want to see Hairspray. I honestly don't know if I've been to a movie with my mom in the past 20 years ~ so this could be BIG!

Anyway, the point of all my ramblings is to say:

MoTHeR - HAPPY BIRTHDAY and I LOVE YOU!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Pam! You are such a great mom and grandma. You are also a good example of a righteous woman who is true, and REAL!!!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Pam!! We love you!!

Michael, Aracely, Lauren and baby M!!!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Pam! Thank you for sharing wonderful Kristy with us.

Chris Grover said...

Happy, happy birthday, Pam! You still have one of the happiest smiles I have ever seen! And Jamie, you MUST have a good mom -- just knowing you makes that very evident!

Anonymous said...

MAN im so sad, this is the first family birthday pic i havent been in. Looks like you guys had fun though.