Friday, July 27, 2007

A Lesson Re-Learned (and re-learned, and re-learned)

Whew, it's been a long week. Tucker's been gone all week with the scouts on a trip to Zion's. Which means it's been a-week-with-no-break for yours truly. This morning I drug myself and the three kids out in the 100 degree heat to swim at a friends house. And not with the best attitude, I might add. Sort of like "this is better than sitting at home" attitude.

Anyway, on to my lesson learned. So, Jordyn has been wanting to have her friend Tori over for a play date, and since Tori was swmming with us, I told her mom why don't I just take her home with us. She said "sure" but that she's been having a hard few weeks and would I mind if she came over for a while with all three of her kids. Admittedly, I was feeling 10000% drained and not completely social. But I sensed she needed it so I said "sure".

[I promise I'm getting to the point] So they all came over for a few hours, fed all our [6] kids, etc. Julie decided to leave around 3 o'clock, but asked if the two oldest (2 and 4) could stay to play. Tired, but realizing what the heck else am I going to do, I said yes. A couple hours later she called, and I assumed she was on her way to pick them up. But instead she said that she had been at the chiropractor with her husband, and that his back had taken a turn for the worse and they needed to go to the emergency room...and can she bring her youngest (18 months) over too? Wow.


So, I ordered pizza, we baked cookies, and now it's 10:00 o'clock pm and they will be here easily till midnight. All 6 children have been exceptionally good. But it's STILL 6 children, ages 5 and under! The good news is that my negative attitude has taken a turn for the better and my inward pity party has been stopped because [here's the lesson re-learned over and over] I SERVED someone in need. I am doing something to help a friend, and THAT is the number one thing that always helps me stop focusing on "poor me" or "tired me" or "whatever me".

The question is, why is it so easy to forget a lesson learned, and why are we stubborn enough to have to learn things over and over and over? To serve another is to be Christlike, and that is something that will bring true joy. So......I'm glad I was able to serve Julie today, I'm glad my attitude changed..........and I'm especially GLAD Tucker will be home tomorrow!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Wasn't it nice that she had a friend to turn to when she needed to be there for her husband. Sometimes things just work out that way. I will be sure to let you know when I have 5,000 kids that need babysitting :) now that I know you are willing he he he.

Unknown said...

Good Job! We have to learn the lesson over and over because we are simply human. Give yourself some credit:)

britt said...

I put myself in your shoes and think what if you maybe would have said no, not today, cuz you were feeling the way you were (and justifiably so). So great you followed your gut and were able to serve someone in need, even when it was quite a challenge. That just shows the kind of friend you are-AWESOME!

Beth said...

Wow!!! Sometimes it takes drastic measures to snap us out of a mode. It is weird that it is the last thing that you would think would actually help! Is her hubby okay?

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I think it was wonderful that you were able to help your friend out even when you were not feeling that great and understandibly so. It's hard when your husband is away because you don't get that break.. I hate it when Mike's gone.. so I think it was wonderful that you had that opportunity and that you were able to learn a lesson. I think that's part of our journey here on earth. We just have to learn things over and over but I think you're awesome.There are a lot of people that would have just said no. I can't do it today.. things are crazy around the house. Thanks for the post. It reminds me that soemetimes even when we are not having the greatest day there are always opportunities for service and that there is nothing greater than experienceing the joy that comes from serving..Awesome post..puts things in perspective.

Grammy said...

You are an amazing woman. Such a great mom, always doing fun things with your kids. Talented, involved in your singing group. And so giving. It truly does help us to lose ourselves when we serve others. The opportunity to be an instrument in God's hands benefits us more than those we serve. After all, he uses us to fulfill his purposes and it is a privilege when we are in tune with that. And your mom is a great example of that. I always thought her middle name should be "Service." :o)

Chelley said...

You helped someone when they really needed it.... And what goes around comes around!!

And the fact that you could take a pic while you had your hands full!!!

Did you think about blogging while taking this pic??
*giggle*