Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Raw is N-A-S-T-Y!

The other day, I drove through Sonic. I don't love Sonic, but between 2-5 pm their drinks are 1/2 off, so I grabbed myself a big ol' diet cherry vanilla coke, and the kids got a slush. I also got a chicken strip wrap.


I got home, unloaded the kids, got them situated and proceeded to take a big bite of my wrap. I immediately noticed that something was NOT right. It had a strange texture. I pulled the wrap away from my mouth and, to my horror, this is what i saw:





Isn't that so sick? Completely RAW chicken strip. The outside was cooked, but the inside was totally raw. Ugh. I was SO grossed out.


But I will say, in this case, it helps that we are in the food service business, because Tucker is consantly talking about what type of chicken strips, chicken breast, fried chicken, etc. that our company is using. He's talked quite a bit about the pros and cons of using pre-cooked breaded chicken vs. raw breaded chicken.....otherwise I wouldn't have even THOUGHT that there was such a thing as raw breaded chicken!


The story ended on a positive note. I called the manager - mostly to warn him - and he was VERY apologetic, he got my address and sent me out a coupon for a free meal. So, the moral to my story? Always check your chicken. It's one thing to like raw beef (Tucker likes his steaks moo-ing) but raw chicken is just N-A-S-T-Y.

8 comments:

Tara said...

That is the most discusting thing! It goes right along with hearing stories of hamburgers with feces in them, or chicken sandwiches oozing puss from a tumor in the meat. I think those were all stories we heard in High school, not sure if they were ever true, but gross! Raw!!! Yuck!

Chris Grover said...

Oh Jamie, GROSS! I'm so funny about chicken anyway! That is a nightmare story for sure! Chris will get a kick out of it. He is the king of fast food disasters -- fingernails, cardboard, hair, flies -- he's pretty much seen it all in his food. Never something like this, though! YIKES!

Jill said...

YUCK! Jill

Unknown said...

Just looking at that made my stomach curdle! Good to talk to you today:)

Eliza2006 said...

Sicky, sick, sick, sick. I HATE Sonic. I vowed to NEVER go there again when I ordered a breakfast sandwich and the main ingredient was oil and I wanted to vomit. HATE SONIC!!!

Tiffany

Beth said...

That is the worst especially chicken. One time at subway I noticed something strange in my sandwich. After 1 bite I opened my sandwich and noticed that there was a huge peice of paper in it. The paper now had a bite in it. Strange but true.

Anonymous said...

You didn't hear that Sonic is now marketing chicken sushi?

Go out right now and read Fast Food Nation. The movie doesn't do the book justice. You'll never want to eat fast food again!!

Grammy said...

One night we went out for a special dinner - just a little more pricey. We went to the Macaroni Grill. I ordered this marvelous garlic chicken pasta dish. While enjoying this fabulous tasting pasta, I bit in to something hard. It was this blue piece of plastic, kind of shaped like a little elbow macaroni. I found THREE other pieces. Yuck! It's not just fast food that will get you!