Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What do you do with your digital photos?

I want to know what YOU do with all your digital photos. I think my generation is sort of figuring all this digital stuff out as we go. I think we take WAY more pics than our parents did AND because they are digital, we can eliminate having boxes of developed double-prints laying around.

But the question is, how SHOULD we organize, save, print, archive, and back up ALL these digital photos?

Here's how I currently do it:

  • I download my photos from my camera a couple times per week (quite often since I blog)
  • I name them by date (example: 5.1.06 Newport Trip) so they are always sorted by date, and in order
  • Every 3-4 months, I back up my photos on a CD, get them printed off and put them into photo albums (my girls and family LOVE to look through them, and this is the best I do because I'm not a scrapbooker)
  • Then I DELETE them off my laptop (always scary).
  • When I get them printed off, I usually print more than one copy of the pictures I want to add to their baby books, frames, etc.

I am so scared that something will happen to my back-up CDs from the past 5 years, so I think I should get duplicates made of the CDs....but I need other ideas. How do YOU do it? Even you lurkers out there who never comment - I want to hear it all!

4 comments:

Debbie said...

aaron and i were just talking about this. if you can believe it we hardly have any of our pictures backed up and our computer is 7 yrs old, scary. i meant to get one today but we are getting a flash drive so i can download all our photos onto one small memory card. i worry about this a lot! i cannot imagine if we lost all our photos. hope this helps, good luck! i will be interested to see what other people do to back up their pictures:)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Hi Jamie,
I think you are probably better organized than most of us. I've been thinking about this lately and I stumbled upon an articler recently in Parents or Parenting can't remember which and they suggested getting two CD's and two set of prints. One set of prints along with one cd to keep on hand and create an album like you are doing and the other cd and prints to store in a fire proof safe where you might keep life insurance, hazard insurance, etc.. Also it was suggested not to delete your pictures but rather just keep them as files.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

P.S. thanks for blogging about this. Photos are so important and such a part of our history. Its scary to think what would happen if they were to be destroyed.

Aracely

Sydney said...

Hey Jamie-you could get an external hard drive to back up all files on your computer (store all of your photos, music, financial stuff, etc)...and essentially move the pics there once you have made cds and prints of them. This is my plan, since I recently thought I lost all 20G of my music and close to 1000 photos (thankfully it turned out ok, but I was devastated for a few days). This way you would have one or two cds, plus prints, plus the files stored somewhere other than your computer. Seems like a safe enough plan, right?