Saturday, May 26, 2007

"Aha!" Moment

This is sort of long, but worth the read. Occasionally I will TiVO Oprah and watch it at night. I was so glad I did that today. After having a hard few days and thus feeling guilty at my disconnectedness to my children this week, I needed to hear this. It's worth reading a few times till you "get it". (I typed this up from what was actually said by Dr. Martha Beck on the show):

*******************************************************
A mother was talking about her guilt over mistakes she had made by staying in a physically abusive relationship for the sake of her children. She ended the relationship, but not before her children had witnessed this abuse. She felt extreme sadness and guilt for this and said she could see the unforgiveness in her son’s eyes. Dr. Martha Beck went on to say the following to her:

"Children model what we do to ourselves, not what we do to them. If the mother is unforgiving to herself, then the child is unforgiving to the mother and the child."

She went on to relate this story: A psychiatrist dealt with troubled patients for 20+ years, and they’d always say “I know my mother loved me, BUT..” and they’d go on to explain their problems. One day she met a really healthy man, and wondered “Gee, I wonder what a normal person’s mother is like”. So, she asked him. She imagined that he’d say that his mother loved him perfectly and made no mistakes at all. But instead he said something she had never heard before from a patient. He simply said “My mother loved life”.

The number one thing you can do to teach your children to be happy is to love your own life. And then love for others comes as a natural outpouring after that. If you raise kids and you only love them and not yourself, then they grow up to be people who can’t love themselves. They don’t treat themselves the way YOU treat THEM, they treat themselves the way YOU treat YOU.

She also suggested we try this exercise….
Imagine that you are caring for a loved one (maybe a sick child, elderly mother or heartbroken friend, etc), and imagine that you’ve tucked them into bed and later, feeling worried about them, you check in on them. You are standing there over the bed watching them sleep, feeling such compassion for them and just wanting them to feel better. When you feel all the compassion you can, imagine the person rolls over in bed, and it’s YOU. Maybe just for a second you can imagine all of the compassion you are PULLING out of yourself to give to others, imagine that same compassion directed at YOURSELF…the possibilities for your life are endless.

8 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I am such a firm believer in this. I try to be so careful about how I even talk about myself around Eliza. Only nice things. I try not to ever mention my weight, etc. I know that her self-esteem is directly linked to mine. I wish I would have seen that episode of Oprah. Thanks for the recap!

Tiffany

Chris Grover said...

Interesting, I NEVER see Oprah, but I happened to get home from work early today and saw this show. It was soooo awesome, and you nailed everything that touched me as well. It just all made so much sense. I also really enjoyed the part about forgiving where they were saying that if you can't forgive someone it's like you swallowing poison and hoping the other person would die. (Wow!) Thanks for sharing, Jamie. Hope you are feeling better too.

Debbie said...

wow, that was great! thank you jamie.

Unknown said...

I agree mostly. However I counseled a lot of kids whose parents were doing too much for themselves and not showing any love for their kids or time for them- I think its a balance, which I am so grateful Ryan supports and I get to do lots of fun things for myself:)

Jamie and Family said...

Katie, thanks for the good point and I completely agree. For me, I internalized this more as trying to do the right things for my family from a truly happy and joyful standpoint (rather than just going through the motions)...but not going to the extreme and being selfish about it (as you pointed out), which can also have negative results. This just helped me to remember that it's not just WHAT I do or say but HOW I do it and say it (i.e. joyfully or begrudgingly).

Thanks for the comments!

Jamie

britt said...

thanks for that useful in sight. I have been struggling internally about this exact issue. I wish I would have seen the episode.

Katie said...

I grew up with a mom who had little to no self-confidence. But she was still an awesome mom. I think we need to find the balance between loving ourselves and teaching our kids. I think my mom was great, but I also know she was flawed when it came to her own happiness, and that makes me sad, so be happy for your kids, let them see you sad, and let them see you resolve it!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Jamie,
I am also a believer in this. I usually watch Oprah but of course missed this episode. I also try to be very careful around Lauren and never try to mention my weight or other self esteem issues around her. This is so important especially in this society, A couple of months ago on Oprah they had an episode about these unhappy preschoolers that showed signs of depression and eating disorders- one little girl was only 3!!!the moms were on the show trying to figure out how this happened. After only a little digging it turns out these moms were always saying out loud how ugly, fat and what not so good parents they were- this definetly goes hand and hand. It's unfortunate that we live in a society where we are always bombarded with the images of what ideal beauty is and that a woman can juggle all things at once and must have a perfect family ,pefect looks and a perfect immaculate home. What a great post. Thanks Jamie!!1