Thursday, March 20, 2008

Zoo-ropia



It's spring break and so far I haven't been much of a "fun mom". So today we finally did something fun and went to the zoo!


Well, us......and 5 of my friends with their 14 kids. Yep, that's right. A group of 17 kids and 6 moms. And you know what? Somehow, we ALL stayed together the WHOLE time! It was actually really fun, not as chaotic as I'd anticipated! The kids loved it. I just loved being outside in the 70 degree weather. Love it! We even had a picnic afterward. And after 5 hours, the kids were still begging to stay longer! But Mom was done.



I think the elephants are one of my favorites. They just fascinate me! This one was 32 years old! My peer!



Pey was a happy camper!



Well, until we got into the petting zoo. She did NOT like the goats and sheep around her, even when I was holding her!


But once Mommy showed her how soft they are, her tears left and were replaced with giggles.



These girls stayed together so well! And this was only a small portion of our group!




So then, Lindy came over with Lyric and Paxton so we could hang out since we were Magic Mountain widows today. I barbequed some chicken for dinner, and you know what else I had the urge to do? Make homemade wheat bread. I don't do this often (maybe 1-2 times per year). I am a big baker, but I don't very often bake yeast-breads. Maybe I'm too impatient. So Lindy and I endured the 3 1/2 hour anticipation of the hot, fresh bread while the kids played.




Mmmmmmmm, we were in heaven when it was finally done. Slathering tons of butter on each hot piece, I didn't stop until I literally felt sick. Just about the same time as I felt sick, I was perusing blogs and came across my friend Debbie's blog. And wouldn't you know it? She was sharing, with excitement, her accomplishment of running 5 1/2 miles nearly-effortlessly. I was a little jaw-dropped because I probably couldn't run for 5 1/2 minutes! It was sort of like her words jumped off the screen and gave me a little spanking for being so glutenous! Thanks for the inspiration Debbie! ;-)

And here's to not eating a whole loaf of bread tomorrow! But if YOU want to eat your own loaf of this yummy bread, this is the recipe I made.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

i feel so privileged to be talked about on this post. honestly jamie, i can run but the pounds are not coming off. i love food way too much:) thanks for the good bread recipe, i will have to try that one.

Katie said...

What a fun trip! I love going to the zoo, too bad I didn't think of that as a trip for me to go on during my spring break. You guys are a brave bunch of moms!

britt said...

that recipe sounds really good and pretty simple. I make homemade french bread quite a bit, so I will have to try this one instead!

and what a fun trip to the zoo. I should take my kids!

Tara said...

Really Jay, give yourself more credit. You have done GREAT for spring break. The only thing my kids have done is clean, clean, clean, play outside a little, play video games, clean, clean, etc. And tomorrow is our turn to help clean the church, so my poor kids, more cleaning. At least someone has planned something for Easter, (good old primary) so they get an egg hunt. See, you are an awesome overcoming-yucky-illness/Spring-break-fun-MOM. I hope my week makes you feel like a super-mom, because you are!