Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Lunch Date

(My swelling was down enough on today, the sixth day, that I could cake the makeup on my less-puffy, scaley, eyes and feel semi-human)


Blogs are cool. Even if everybody and their dog has one. They're still cool. I like that I can do posts about anything and everything, and reveal as little or as much as I want to. And its all good. Some posts are about feelings, others are about events and some are about people.

Today's post is about people at an event and my feelings on it (ha! all three!).

The sun, moon and stars all aligned today and the result was a rare occasion. My sister Lindy and I had lunch with my mom (get this) with NO kids. We almost didn't know how to have a conversation without noise or interruption. You'd think that living in the same town would mean lunch together is just a no-brainer. But its really harder than you think.

Mom took us to a great yummy Scandinavian restaurant for lunch. We ate, chatted and then browsed their gift shop for a while. It was fun........especially because it's not often that we get mom "all to ourselves" anymore.

It constantly amazes me how many "hats" she wears. I see that it's a lot of physical and emotional work to be a mom....always. From watching her, I realize it doesn't end when they turn 18 and "move on". I appreciate how my mom has always "kept it real" and taught us not only by word, but by action. She's has worked extremely hard to pave a path for her 5 children....and by doing so has prepared us and armed us with essential knowledge for success. She has given us so much more than she was given growing up. I really believe in the theory of each generation improving upon the last, and hope my children can do the same.


Thanks Mom! I love you!

4 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

How fun! Cute pic of the three of you!

Tiffany

Tara said...

How nice to be near family. I LOVED it when my family came for Eddie's BD. I am going to feel so alone when they all move away and start their lives outside BYU! :) (but Enos and Lindsay might move here by me for a year or two soon, I'm so excited, the thought of having a "lunch date" with family members sound SO nice!!!) Lucky woman you!

Janessa Couch said...

I ate at that restaurant with my Mother in Law, it was really good. It is always fun to have special dates with your sister and your mom and without kids! I am impressed.

Beth said...

those are the moments that you can cherish forever. You all look related in this picture