Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Festivities 2008

MY FAMILY: Mike, Paxton, Lindy and Lyric. Ryan, Kristy, Mom and Dad. Jamie, Tucker, Jordyn, Lexi and Peyton. Missing: Carly and Alyson. We missed you guys a ton!


One of the reasons I love Easter is you really can't go wrong with it. Any traditions are great, as long as they are somehow tied to either Christ or the Easter Bunny, but preferrably both.


Incidentally.....isn't it so interesting that Easter is all about EGGS EGGS EGGS, but they are delivered by a bunny instead of a chicken? Why doesn't the Easter Chicken hide the eggs or fill the baskets? That always bothered me as a kid.



Anyway, on to my point. So Easter is great and I love the renewed feeling that comes with focusing on the ressurection of Christ and all that he did for us so we can also be ressurected and gain eternal life.


This year's Easter was extra special because it was also my sister Lindy's 25th birthday. We had a great celebration day and I'll tell the story with [lots of] pictures.


OUR EASTER SUNDAY

My mother loves to coordinate and/or match clothing. Especially for the grandkids. I totally LOVE that she does this because it makes my stress level almost non-existant for holidays like this. Growing up we always had new dresses at Easter time, and the tradition continues with my kids. She did such a great job picking out cute dresses - complete with capes, gloves, tights, shoes and hair bows. Nothing is left out when Mom is in charge!


As I may have mentioned before, I LOVE to decorate cakes. I've unintentionally started the tradition of making everyone a personalized birthday cake. I pick something random that is endearing to that person and let my creativity flow. It's therapeutic for me. I love the challenge and I always wonder if the image I see in my head is what will turn out on the cake. So for Lindy's birthday, I made her a "pepsi can" cake. It's no secret that she (well, all my siblings) loves soda. So I found it only natural to make her this cake, straw and all. The other "easter cake" was just a fun cake to use up the rest of the cake batter.



Happy 25th Birthday Lindy!
We had an Easter Egg hunt this year at Lindy's house. The "easter bunny" filled the eggs with random coins (nickels, pennies, dimes). He must have been tired of candy ALL OVER THE PLACE. Boy, this did not go over very well with the kids. We figure once they're older, they may like the money more than candy? Just not quite yet...


Get a load of these adorable costume slips these girls are wearing! My mom bought them with the intention of putting them under their Easter dresses. But when they came in the mail, they were much too full and long to do that! So, they became their "after church slips" and they LOVED them. They felt like princesses. The called themselves Giselle from the movie Enchanted [cute movie] all day. I loved seeing them run around like little faries.


Peyton did not have a slip in her size, so to not feel left out, Grandma got her this little ballet outfit and she looked SO cute in it!


Then, on to our third (I think? Maybe 4th?) annual Easter Egg Competition. We stole the tradition from Tucker's family and it is so much fun!







My Dad was the champion this year! He won with a whole Egg in tact, not cracked at all!



We did a little lesson using the "Ressurection Eggs". Telling the story and symbols of Jesus' crusifixtion and ressurection.


Look at these girls! They are so cute. Lyric (3), Jordyn (5), Lexi (4). I sure wish cousin Alyson Joy had been here to celebrate with them and get in these cute pics!



Whew, this is starting to seem like a week long post instead of just a day. OK, so we may be a little late to the Rockband party, but better late than never, eh? We rocked out for our first time tonight to some X-BOX Rockband. Nice Sabbath evening activity, huh? Hey, its family time! Its was definitely fun. Next time we'll try not to invade Mom and Dad's house till 10 pm with LOUD music though.



Happy Easter to all! Thanks Mom and Dad for such a fun day!



(by the way, I have to express my extreme thankfulness that I woke up today, after 10 days of itchy, bright red, swollen eyes....and they were near normal. Make up camoflauged the residual. Oh, there is nothing like having something taken away for a while to appreciate it 100 times more when it returns! To wake up with normal eyes is the BEST!)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks perfect and so fun! The weather looks great. It is finally averaging the 60's here. Now it is time to put in out yard. Any suggestions-

Chris Grover said...

i actually checked your site yesterday because i was so excited to see what outfits your mom had picked out for the girls! she never disappoints -- they all look adorable! i love the slips too! jamie, i'm soooo glad you are feeling back to normal!

Beth said...

Your cakes are getting more and more amazing! Looks like you had a fun day full of all the things Easter is suppose to have. I WANT TO PLAY THAT GAME!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

The girls looked beautiful. I love those slip dresses. I also loved the girls Easter dresses. It looks like you all had such a fun time. I'm glad you are feeling better and I have to agree with the last comment your cakes are amazing!!

britt said...

I love those pockadot dresses. how fun tha your mom does that. the new easter dress thing was a tradition with us growing up to, that i am continuing as well.
what fun fmaily times you are having!

britt said...

ps i am soo jealous of your cake decorating creativity! I did that one for ame's birthday but don't have as much ambition to do it for all the kids EACH bday
i may try a frog for Ash's bday
we will see\

britt said...

ps i am soo jealous of your cake decorating creativity! I did that one for ame's birthday but don't have as much ambition to do it for all the kids EACH bday
i may try a frog for Ash's bday
we will see\

Tara said...

I love how your mom has the dot theme for herself as well as the girls, and each family seems to have their own color combinations, SO cute! Well thought out. :) I tried to enlarge the cake picture so I could get a better look, but it didn't come up. I love your cakes. Maybe it was the laptop, I will try again later on the other computer, I love to look at the details of your cakes. :) I'm glad you are feeling better, I feel sad for you when you have to go through such yucky stuff. It was perfect timing for recovery, eh? Right on time for Easter! (you look so beautiful btw)

Janessa Couch said...

Okay, that cake decorating is really getting to me. They are all so adorable. I tried making a cake and it looked NOTHING like that. Great job!