Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ahhh, Piano

Jordyn's been taking piano lessons for 1 1/2 years, and Lexi for 6 months. Wow, what a commitment it's been! Taking them to lessons every week is one thing, but practicing can be quite the daunting task!

I have a little bit of a love/hate relationship with the whole thing. I love to see them learn and to see them really enjoy the piano. I love that it enhances their ability to hear pitch, to feel rhythm, to read music and to be creative. And THEY really love it. So I want to keep providing them with the opportunity to develop this skill.

But what I don't like is remembering to have them practice. They are too young for it to be their fault if they don't practice...so its all me! And I don't always feel like spending two hours total in piano lessons with them...singing, dancing and being enthusiastic. Its 30 minutes away and I have to get a sitter for Pey. I also don't like wondering how I'll keep this up with THREE of them when its Pey's turn (this program thrives off the "mommy and me" type lessons the first few years). Just another thing to keep up with.

But I REALLY want to try. Every week, I remind myself that this is a great gift to them to someday (if THEY want to) to be able to play the piano. And even if they choose to sing or play another instrument instead, their ability to interpret music will be innate.

I know its young for them to do this. And I don't think I'd do it if I had to drag them kicking and screaming each week. But they just genuinely enjoy it and look forward to it. And I love seeing their skills and talents grow. Way to go Jordyn and Lexi!





11 comments:

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I think it's great Jamie. It seems like its a lot of work but it looks like it's worth it. One of my best friends owns his own piano studio and thinks most kids should start at 4- so it's not too young.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I forgot to add- Great job girls!! It's pretty impressive that they are so young and can play!!!

Tara said...

I think it's great, whatever kind of musical encouragement you can give. (I wish I had the drive to do what you do, I am trying not to feel guilty that the only musical thing my kids get is "appreciation" from listening to it) Great job Jamie, they will be so glad they have that skill later on in life.

Katie said...

Oh, how I wish I could still play...that is all I am going to say. :) (keep it up girls!)

Unknown said...

Definitely more than I can do in my life right now- good job.

Janessa Couch said...

My girls keep begging for piano lessons. I keep dragging my feet for the same purpose that you wrote about. I alreay drive two times a week to gymnastics and it wears me out. How do moms do it when they have 5 kids all in different things? It would drive me crazy. I guess it really helps when your kids truly enjoy it.

Tricia said...

The true secret is if they love it - Since they do you need to keep that in them since most kids don't love piano at all and are forced into it. The constant nagging will lessen as they get older and realize the importance of practicing. You will look back in a few years and realize that all the hard work really does pay off. Good luck!

Beth said...

I don't know how you have done it week after week with everything else you do, but I know the girls will thank you one day.

britt said...

it IS definitely worth it it THEY enjoy it! I have decided I am going to start giving Ame lessons. We just have a keyboard, but that will do the job for now. We got a beginning piano book just yesterday actually. She also got a pink guitar, in a pink case for christmas, that she REALLY wanted. But I think we will focus on one thing at a time, in the music department. And this is what SHE wants to do. I figure I know enough to do the basics with her, and then later on we can put her in lessons, if she still has a want and interest.

I commend you AND the girls for your dedication!

All of the "extra-curricular" activities are a definite juggling act for us moms!

Melvin and Carly said...

How do you find/make time to do everything that you do? We can't even make it to story time at the library every week. Can you ship me some of whatever-it-is-that-you've-got so I can be half the mom you are?

Jamie and Family said...

ha ha ha Carly, by the way I've made it to library story time 2 times in my life! :-)