Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cakes


Here are bigger pics of the cakes I made. I love making these. Its a huge challenge every time. I get an idea in my head, and then I have NO idea if I can actually do it until I try. I usually bake them in a bread pan (the Pepsi cake) or a regular cake pan, and then I cut it the shape I need to (like the egg one). I use Wilton brand food coloring. I have all the frosting tips....but do you know what I do VERY often? Use plastic baggies and cut a tiny tip off. You can just throw them away when you are done!

Here is the most important part of my cakes (to me). They ALWAYS taste good. No shortening, no fake butter.......just REAL butter, REAL sugar, REAL milk, etc. I would rather sacrifice looks than taste. Its more challenging to get a stiff frosting when it doesn't have any kind of shortening in it, but I cannot STAND how shortening tastes. I use a box cake, but then I always make the frosting from scratch. Purely for selfish reasons. I love how it tastes SO much better.
I love to do these cakes because I just genuinely enjoy it! It's a fun personal challenge for me. They are FAR from perfect, but they are meaningful, fun and yummy. Thanks for your kind comments!

9 comments:

Tara said...

Thank you for posting larger pics, I really wanted to see them, from an artistic point of view. I like to decorate cakes too, but it is much harder than it looks, and I get frustrated. I really appreciate what you do, your skill I mean, it takes A LOT of practice and thought, more than people realize. Doesn't it feel so good to have a creative outlet that also "gives" to the family? As well as feeds our need to overcome a challange, and be rewarded for it. :)

Janessa Couch said...

Did you teach yourself or take a class? I bought the Betty Crocker set that you see on tv and I thought that I would just instantly become a pro. WRONG! It is very difficult and takes great talent and patience. Great job.

britt said...

I am always soo impressed at your creativity with cakes. You definitely have an eye for it, or I guess it would be hands too!

Grammy said...

I have also always loved cake decorating. Do you remember when I used to do the cakes at Take 10? I have some pretty cool pics of cakes I have done in the past. You have inspired me to dig them out, scan them, and post on my blog. You sure do a great job!

Bubbly Faces said...

You are amazing!! I don't have the patients or talent to do so much work on one cake... Props to you!

Debbie said...

i love the pepsi one, i might have to do that one as well. ev's b-day is coming up and i am doing a pirate ship. i am so excited! i also enjoy the challenge of making cakes.

Chris Grover said...

what i think is so cool is that you personalize each cake so well. it is definitely a talent and you are doing exactly what you should with it -- sharing it with others! i LOVE seeing what you come up with!

Melvin and Carly said...

What fun memories you are making for your girls (and the rest of your family). My mom did that for my siblings and me while we were growing up and I think I remember almost every birthday cake. I'm trying to do it for my kids, but I'm not very skilled yet. Need more practice, I guess. Thanks for sharing yet another one of your talents!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I love your cakes. Mike was drooling over that Pepsi cake.You are very talented!!