Thursday, August 16, 2007

Teeth


In some ways, I am pretty lucky in the teeth category. The main way being that they are near perfect in straightness - with no braces, ever. [Although I have to admit I ALWAYS wanted a retainer and would make them out of paper clips to convince my friends I had one. Did you ever do that?]

But in other ways, I am not so lucky with my teeth. For example, it is not unusual after a checkup to hear the dentist say "well, it looks like you have about 8 cavities". YES, I said EIGHT!

Today was one of those "not so lucky" days. He didn't say I had 8 cavities. He did say "It looks like I need to scrape out your old fillings, give you two crowns and possibly a root canal. Then we will schedule you for 4-5 other fillings with possible crowns in a couple other teeth".

He may as well have said "Hand me your next few paychecks and we'll call it even".

So, my wonderful friends babysat my kids today while I had four wonderful hours of quiet time....well, with the dentist and his drill that is.

Oh, and I even got to see my beautiful mom leaving the dentist as I was arriving. She also had three crowns today. Wait a minute......speaking of that......mom.....I think I have found the ONE thing I am NOT glad I inherited from you. Love you anyway!

8 comments:

Beth said...

You were a brave soul today!

Tara said...

I am SO sorry about that, how yucky! I understand about the quiet time thought. When I had similar work done, I took Bill's ipod and drowned myself in music while the dentist drilled away. It was nice to not have any kids pulling on me for a few hours. I bet you have quite a sore jaw and mouth, no matter what, that is no fun!

Katie said...

It is pretty typical for old fillings to have to be replaced, it is just unfortunate that they all have to be done that the same time. Just think of it this way, you shouldn't need any more dental work for at LEAST 5 years. Always a thought... do you get a 2nd opinion? I alway see a red flag when there is that much work to be done, especially if you are a regular dental office visitor. Just a thought. By the way, did you get a prize?

Anonymous said...

I must say I am exactly like you, I have very straight teeth without ever having any braces (I also used to make "retainers" out of paper clips) and yet I can never leave the dentist without having to make another appointment because of my many cavities. No fun at all. :P

Unknown said...

I would rather have ten babies in one day.

Jill said...

I have your same teeth! I get so mad when I get more cavities! it's payback for no braces, I guess. Jill

Anonymous said...

I feel for you, apparently we have the same teeth. I have decided that some people are just born with good teeth, and some not. No matter how much I floss, brush, rinse, I have still had 4 root canals, too many cavities to count, etc... Luckily they are straight and not brown, so I am counting my blessings!

Debbie said...

i totally started LOL when i read that you made a retainer out of a paper clip. i am glad i was not the only one, i wanted braces so bad. sorry to hear about having to get so much work done at one time, yikes!