Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I *Thought* I Was Smart

Okay, so I am starting to work my way toward getting my teaching credential......just so I can have that as an option in the future. But in CA, there are lots of preliminary state tests you have to complete.

I recently took the CBEST (CA Basic Educational Skills Test), which was pretty basic and I passed w/o much struggle. Now I am preparing to take another, the CSET (CA Subject Examination for Teachers). These tests are good ol' fashioned #2 pencil and fill in the bubble, same as 20 years ago. It was so hard for me to hand write an essay! Do I ever handwrite anything these days?

Oh my gosh. I really did think I was fairly smart. But apparently I don't retain as much as I thought I did (or did I even learn this stuff EVER?). I am doing a practice test today and here are two questions that I have encountered so far (like 75% of the questions I had to look up the answer on the internet!). I want to know if I'm the only one who struggled with these.....do you know the answers off the top of your head? (can you even read it?)


8 comments:

Tara said...

Good for you Jay! Go for it. I'm impressed. I am dealing with an intense fear of trying to recap what I have learned so I can go back to teach art. I am giving you a bow, it's hard once you have gotten used to the mom rhythm to even think about outside jobs. (unless you have kept up your brain in that department all along) Also, I have no clue about those questions.

Chris Grover said...

Are you kidding? I would have to study for 10 years if all the questions are like that! I am sooo excited that you are doing this -- I give you majorly HUGE props! I remember when you used to sub that I thought you would be MY favorite teacher if I was 15 years younger and still in school! Sooo cool! I'm really proud of you!

Katie said...

ok, so apparently I should never be a teacher. My brain shut off completely once I began reading the second question. It went something like this "blah blah bla....uhhhhhh *blank*" ha ha ha. Good luck with all of that. I guess I will be Googling what a "relative clause" is too.

Chelley said...

what in the world?!?!?! I think that was in english...


But really I am so happy that you are doing this!! How exciting for you!
I think you would be a wonderful teacher

Chelley said...

btw you have been tagged!!

check out my blog

Eliza2006 said...

Ummm, I am a teacher and I have no clue.
What are you getting certified in...a general knowledge of everything in the world?

Tiffany

britt said...

Diddo to what everyone else said. I, like Tiffany, was a teacher and have no clue about how to answer those questions. When I taught 6th grade I was a little nervous cuz I was lost on some things and had to relearn what I was teaching sometimes. So don't even feel like it is just you!
That is awesome you are doing that. I have heard it is pretty strenuous in CA to get certified. But is a wonderful thing to have and fall back on. It has definitely helped our family, for me to be able to teach.

Grammy said...

You go for it, Girl! I don't know any of the answers to those questions, and I don't WANT to know! I think I will keep my desk job....