Friday, August 31, 2007

Flashback Friday


I think my first love may have been at age 8 or 9 - Davy Jones from The Monkees (he's the bottom one).

To say I was obsessed with The Monkees would be an understatement. I remember......it was 1986 and I watched every single re-run episode of The Monkees TV series. I had every song and episode memorized. And I thought Davy Jones was the cutest thing in the world.

One of my happiest memories was when I got home from school one day (maybe 3rd grade?) and my mom handed me a tape. She had a friend with the Monkees LP (record album, remember those?) and she had dubbed it onto a cassette tape for me. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I felt like she had handed me the world. I guarded that tape with my life. I would carry a boom-box around with that tape in it, even to my friends house. I was such a rocker.
I distinctly remember the day I heard they were touring in concert. My heart almost burst with excitement. And then......this is when it gets a little blurry......I remember being told that the shows I was watching were actually RE-RUNS.....from 20 years ago. "What?" my head was spinning. That would make Davy Jones like 40 years old? Oh no! It's not possible!


Eventually I got over it, but that was a sad day for me.


I still have a special place in my heart for all of The Monkees songs, and you know what? A few years ago, which was 20 years after my mom handed me that special tape....she was shopping and happened across The Monkees Greatest Hits CD and bought it for me. Full circle moment, I tell ya.




Oh, and speaking of cassette tapes. About a year after this Monkees phase, I became obsessed with Tiffany (you know, singer, redhead, i think we're alone now...) and my sister Carly was 8. Probably thought I was cool or something. So, for Christmas that year (this is what a nice sister I was) I dubbed HER a copy of my Tiffany cassette tape. Wrapped it up and gave it to her under the tree. And as funny as it sounds, she was THRILLED! I get a kick out of that memory.

8 comments:

Tara said...

What a fun trip down memory lane! I clearly remember exactly where the tape player was in my room when you brought over that Monkey's tape and played it. I was always jealous that you got to listen to music I didn't. It was only through you that I was introduced to music like The Monkeys, Tiffany, BonJovi, although, I think it was at Katie's house where I first heard Madonna, and watched MTV. :) Fun memories!

Tara said...

oops, how embarrassing, I spelled The Monkees wrong!

Anonymous said...

As you know, I still love The Monkees. I still regularly listen to all of their albums. I am especially fond of the Missing Links volumes features rare tracks and out-takes. A couple years ago there was even a special six disc release of the Headquarters sessions with just about everything recorded during the production of that album.

I've got the DVD's of all the episodes and even watch their film "Head" at least once a month. I am a Monkee Maniac.

Anonymous said...

What's even crazier is that Davy is now 62! I can't believe it's been 21 years since we became fans.

Daytrippingmom Media said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daytrippingmom Media said...

I'm loving your flashback friday posts. I love the Monkees too!! It's cute -Mike has told me a couple of times about how the two of you were totally into the Monkees. Of course he was super excited when he read your fun post as you can tell by his TWO comments!! LOL!!.

Katie said...

We used to put their RECORD on, and dance around the family room. My sisters and I loved Davy, but because all of us loved him so much, I felt the need to try to pick a different one...unfortunately none of them compared. As a side note, I used to listen to Debbie Gibson and Tiffany.

Chris Grover said...

I so remember you loving the Monkees! And who wouldn't? Davy was definitely a hottie! Only problem is I think he's like 5 feet tall! Hehe!