Sunday, September 30, 2007

Half Dome, Yosemite, CA


I am standing on the diving board & the Yosemite Valley is below

(Maren, I know you are jealous of this picture)


Sorry to all of Jamie's faithful followers - but this post is from Tucker.

I have completed a lot of incredible hikes in my life. However, the most difficult hike I have ever accomplished was yesterday; Half Dome, Yosemite. I took of group of scouts and adult leaders (16 total) to Yosemite Friday night. We arose at 4:00 am on Saturday to prepare for the hike. After breaking camp and driving to the starting point, we began the 18.5 mile round trip hike.


This hike is a Stairmasters dream; I have never seen so many stairs & switchbacks on a hike. It was brutal. The first 5 miles although difficult were very beautiful, two magnificent waterfalls, and incredible scenery. All the boys did very well, at first. However, the last 4.2 miles were intense. Upon reaching the base of the Half Dome rock, we had one final set of switchbacks then the long trek up the cables. The cables are drilled into the face of the rock to help you ascend. It took 45 minutes to go up because there were SOOOO many people going up and down the cables.

We ended up hiking down the last 4 miles in the dark. My knees felt like they were going to explode! I finally made it home at 2:30am. Both Ryan and Mike came on the hike (my brothers in law) and they did great!!!!! I trained for this hike, however it was not enough, I am sooooo sore right now!! Overall I loved it, but I will wait a long time before doing it again.

One side note...When I woke up this morning and hobbled to the bathroom, Jordyn said, “Daddy why are you walking like an old man?”



My scout Crew on one of the many sets of stairs

Taking a break before the final push to the top. (Half Dome in the background)

Half Dome Cable to the top. (Many people in line)



Me standing on the face . The boards made it easier to walk & wait (45 min to get to the top)



This is looking down from the top.

6 comments:

Chelley said...

Omgoodness...

that is just amazing!!! Did you hike down in the dark?

So no plans of heading to Mt everestt anytime soon?

Jamie and Family said...

Chelley - not over my dead body, he won't. :-)

Tara said...

Way to go Tucker! You are THE MAN!!! Half Dome hikes were some of Bill's favorite memories during his scouting years. (Apparently the youth are not REAL CA scouts until they have done Half Dome) I was not taken seriously when we were first married and I "claimed" to love hiking, but I had never done Half Dome. :) This trip just put you way up in the high ranks for "tough as nails, hard A*%" Scout leader. :) You Rock!

(are some extreme rapids, wilderness survival, or other crazy challenge next on your list? I mean, how do you top Half Dome, everything else will now seem wimpy?)

Beth said...

You had company in the old man hobbling. When Dane woke up this morning, for a second I forgot he went on the hike,and I was like "what the heck is wrong with you?!" He looked like he was walking for the first time in years. Proud of Ya'll!

Debbie said...

good job tucker! aaron and i did this hike when we lived there. it is such a GREAT hike!

Grammy said...

Tucker, what a great hike! Rod and I love to hike. Our scouts down here in AZ do Havasupai. It is in the Grand Canyon and has some beautiful falls. It is definitely an overnighter. Keep on truckin'! You are one superman-dad-husband-scout leader!