Thursday, September 13, 2007

Music! Music! Music!

Harmony (the womens service choir I sing with) has started again. We took the summer off, and are back in session learning our Christmas lineup! This season, we have 16 women participating, and we're learning 7 songs. We get together every Thursday for 2 1/2 hours. I sing 2nd Soprano. I grew up seeing my mom in Harmony most of my life....and now I am nearing my 5th year participating. Initially, it was VERY intimidating to me. I had never really sang "parts" before....so learning to blend and sing the harmony was difficult, but also a fun challenge. And then to learn to smile AND perform while singing on key....well, that felt almost impossible. I have since learned how to blend and hear my part and to actually enjoy it!

But the biggest news is that I've convinced Lindy to give Harmony a shot this season! If you know Lindy, you know this is WAY out of her comfort zone. I'm excited to have her do this with me. Hopefully she is too!

Piano lessons continue on. Jordyn is beginning her second year of piano, and MAN does she love it! She is playing with both hands and her learning speed is remarkable. She practices all the time without me prompting her. But, don't get me wrong, it's not ALL smooth sailing. If I want to interject a suggestion and I don't say it in exactly the right way.......f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-o-n - for us all.


Lexi started piano lessons last week! She LOVES it and I can tell she feels so proud. She loves to sing and play "do, re, mi, fa, sol". She has listened to Jordyn over the past year and its helped her pick it up very quickly. I think she feels special to have her OWN lessons now instead of just watching Jordyn go each week. Both of their classes are parent/child group classes, which is a big commitment on my part each week. But it's also helped a lot. I'm actually re-learning piano in a much better way and I can even play their songs!



Jordyn is showing off the "treasure chest". Each week, if the practice well, they get a trip to the treasure chest. Its quite the hightlight for them.

2 comments:

Chelley said...

I LOVE music! I cant sing to save myself but have (tried) learning the piano but then fell pregnant with the twins... And havent had the chance to take it up again!

I think it is an AWSOME job you are doing by taking the kids and joining in! That is a FAB idea!

Amy said...

hi! i'm katie's friend, amy. i think we met that day at cherry hill when you were in town. anyway, just thought i'd tell you i love reading your blog! it cracks me up!