Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Nice to Meet You


It is an interesting thing to get to know your own children. But it happens, over and over. You think you have them pegged, but really you don't.


Last night, I tried to be a good mom and do FHE. We made cookies as a fun little family activity. And we had a little lesson on Service. When I asked Jordyn what does serving others mean, she said "to help?". Yep! I was proud.


So after our 4 minute service lesson, we decided who we'd "serve" by delivering our fresh baked chocolate chip oatmeal cookies. They were excited.


(here's where I got to know them a little better). Once we were in the car, Jordyn was bursting at the seams with excitement. Lexi, on the other hand, turned solemn.


We arrived at the first house (their main babysitters) and Jordyn hops out like a little bunny. Lexi screams at the very idea of getting out.


The second house (Lexi's primary teachers), Jordyn was a little bunny again. When invited to come, Lexi clutched her car seat buckles like her life depended on it and this time tears were falling.


Jordyn gets back in the car and says "Mom, that was SO HECK fun!". Whatever that means - except I'm sure it means I say "heck" all the time. Guess it could be worse.


Our other two stops were Ashlyn and Grandma - which were in her comfort zone and Lexi participated w/no problem.

What I learned [or verified] is: Jordyn is more like Tucker and Lexi is more like me (at least socially).


Because heaven knows there are times I have clutched my belt and shed tears when I've had to simply make a phone call. I feel ya, Lex.

6 comments:

Chris Grover said...

If only your service could have made it to Provo! Those cookies look so heavenly and I still need to get your recipe cause those are my favorite kind! I so loved the title of this post because I think you will "meet" your kids over and over again as they change and develop into their own person! I can't wait to continue meeting Kaiya's personality!

Tara said...

Ya, I want cookies too! And you know your kids are going to flip on you, over and over and over again. Sometimes I can't beleive how much like Bill Jade is, and Josh is like me, then it flips and I am amazed at how Jade felt something exactly like I would, and Josh did something exactly like Bill. Keeps me guessing, that's for sure.

Debbie said...

such a cute post and i love the title.

can i get the recipe, they look so good?!

Katie said...

ha ha ha ... so funny because I can visualize it! It reminds me of when I was a kid with my sisters and all our little "attitudes"

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Yummie.. those cookies look so good. I wish you were my visiting teacher!! I just think that it's amazing to see our children develop their own little personalities and getting to know them. What a blessing to have such beautiful little beings in our lives..

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Yummie.. those cookies look so good. I wish you were my visiting teacher!! I just think that it's amazing to see our children develop their own little personalities and getting to know them. What a blessing to have such beautiful little beings in our lives..