Wednesday, December 01, 2010

The 5 Blasco Kids

Blasco Kids 2010 001

 

This picture did not come easy.  As the months go by, it becomes very special to me.  This was this past April 8, 2010.  The five of us had not been together for three whole years prior to this and somehow the stars aligned for a picture together.  I was very determined to get this picture because I knew it could be another three years or more before it happened again.

 

Growing up is an interesting thing.  And probably my biggest regret (which I think is common with nearly every child) is that I took my family for granted.  I took for granted that we wouldn’t always be together.  I just thought it would always be the way it was.

 

But…as life teaches us…nothing stays the same.  The only thing that is constant is change.  And now my “baby” brother and sister are adults.  All five of us are doing our own thing, trying to figure out this thing called life.  The fourteen year spread still spans us over so many different stages of life.  Lindy and I are raising three kids each in Kingsburg and juggling all that comes with that, Carly is living in Utah…going to school full time…working her butt off for Overstock.com…and living the struggles of a single mom of a 9 year old girl, Kristy is living in Arizona and doing better than she has done in a very long time and 19 year old Ryan is living at home spending his time figuring himself out and how he fits into the world.

 

I love each of them deeply.  Tears come easily to my eyes because I spent so many years of my life worrying about them and trying to protect them.  Somehow, my brain must have subconsciously believed that I was their third parent.  I fretted, worried and stressed about each of them through their teenage years.  I spent countless hours giving both requested…and unsolicited…advice.  I wrote letters, prayed and took several things way too personally.

 

And now?  Now I just love them.  I finally know without a doubt that I am powerless to save them from pain, mistakes or trials of life.  But I know that love supersedes anything else and I hope they each know how much I love them and would do anything I could for them.

5 comments:

Allan and Diane said...

I LOVE ths picture of you "kids". Each of you hold a special place in my heart--best buds with our girls, cute kindergarten students, etc. Thanks for catching me up on their lives.

Unknown said...

I can relate in so many ways to your feelings. Cute picture.

MeQueen5 said...

Tears...

Melvin and Carly said...

What a nice picture of you and your siblings. I haven't read your blog in a while (I'm just a slacker). It was nice to catch up some on all the things you guys are up to. As always, your girls are adorable.

Elisa said...

I really love this post. You are such a great sister. It is amazing how important unconditional love is in a family. I would love a copy of this picture for Calli's book.