Thursday, December 23, 2010

Before and Afters – Beware…Messy!

 

We have four bedrooms in our house.  When we first moved in 7 years ago, the 1800 sq feet felt so huge!  But we also had two tiny girls and hardly any furniture and just far less STUFF than we do now. 

 

Lexi and Pey share a room, and Jordyn has her own.  Who really knows why it’s set up that way, just how it evolved.  Jordyn doesn’t love it because she often gets scared at night and wants to sleep with her sisters. My girls would be happy all sleeping in the same room.  I’ve thought of doing it too!  One room to sleep, one room for their stuff!

 

So that leaves us with the other room.  It’s been called the toy room, the play room, the office, the junk room.  It seems like we used to get company a lot more than we do now, and so it was great as a guest bedroom.  But lately it’s just been OVERCROWDED.  It had gotten so bad that the girls don’t even play in it because it just didn’t make sense.  Plus, my craft supplies had started taking over too much.


So for Christmas, I wanted to change it.  I wanted to give the room back to them and really cater it to their current interests.   They love to play school, so that was one of my main motivations. 

I picked a really interesting and CRazY time of year to take on such a project, but sometimes I do better under pressure.  Here are some pics soon after I started the demolishing:

DSC01740 DSC01739 DSC01738 DSC01737 _DSC0143 _DSC0142 _DSC0141

 

 

 

There is still so many ideas I have, but here is a decent start.  I built them this craft table myself, and then I found six green, stackable, heavy-duty plastic chairs online for a great price.  Put up a whiteboard, and my friend had an old overhead projector (Jordyn’s biggest wish for years!) that she traded me for a sign.  My goal is to paint the top of the table with magnetic paint, and maybe even chalkboard paint.  I want to put shelves up to hold all their paper and coloring books, etc.  I have so many ideas.  I just want it to be fun and useful.  They are not in the phase anymore where baskets of toys appease them. I need Tara to come visit and give me all her amazing ideas!!

 DSC01750 DSC01749

This is my attempt to put all my craft stuff on one shelf and then, for now, I covered it with a drape. I need to make this look cleaner and more neat.

DSC01748 DSC01747 DSC01746 DSC01745 DSC01744

 

They were so excited on Christmas morning (well, our Christmas morning…Santa came a week early for us so we didn’t have to bring all his stuff back from Utah).

DSC01751

1 comment:

britt said...

I too like to organize but often lack the creativity. You did an awesome job clearing the clutter, and what fun additions!!