Sunday, December 05, 2010

Trinkets, etc.

I think I devote a lot more time than I realize to my side hobby/job/business.  I’ve been a co-op at Trinkets and Treasures for 15 months now and it’s really fun to look back and see how I’ve evolved and what I’ve learned in that time.  I have learned how to really have a little business and what my niche/interests are.  I have thoroughly enjoyed making my signs (I get LOTS of custom orders) and I absolutely LOVE having my own vinyl cutter.  There is no competition here for vinyl or signs (as there is in Utah) so I can really have at it!

Recently I’ve had Lindy assist me on two festivals where we made signs on-the-spot.  To do this, we got tons of wood cut, we routered/sanded/painted it and had them completely ready to make the signs for the customers right there at our booth.  We want to continue to do festivals and maybe eventually do home-parties.  One of the co-ops at Trinkets asked if we would do that, saying she was interested in hosting one at her house.  It would be a lot of work to prepare for, but I think we could make a lot of money and have a great time.  It’s fun to share time, and what I’ve learned, with my sister.

 

Just last month, my sales were over $500.  That’s a pretty good month, and I think December will be even better.  I only pay $80 in rent and I try to keep my supplies cost as low as possible.  I really struggle with the whole thing because while I love it, and I get to have a creative outlet, love the people that work there, etc…I also know I’m devoting a lot of time to it that I’m NOT devoting to my housework or schooling.  So I always have to re-evaluate it and recognize there may come a point where I have to choose.  My degree is, in the long run, top priority.  I really try to include my kids in my “projects” but I know I need to do that even more.  That way, it’s not just crazy/messy/busy mom…but it’s also a learning opportunity and a creative outlet for them.

 

_DSC0019 _DSC0013 _DSC0323 10.17 (3) _DSC0017 _DSC0055

Danielle and I working last week.  She is Julia (the owner’s) 17 year old daughter and she makes the most money of any co-op there (she sells clothing and jewelry, wallets and purses)!

DSC01661 

 

Yesterday at our booth at the Santa Lucia Celebration in Kingsburg. (Dianne, Cristal, me and Lindy)

DSC01662

 

 

For fun, I also really love designing things in Photoshop.  I had the opportunity to design Katie’s Christmas card and Lyric’s birthday invitation :-)  Thanks guys!

Robinson Christmas Card 2010 6_edited-1 6.5x7 Lyric Bday Invite_edited-2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love my card- Love all your stuff. Wish I lived closer so I could go into business with you. It is so saturated here!