Saturday, November 29, 2008

Christmas Decorating!

I love putting up Christmas decorations as early as possible so we can really get our fill of them! It's so much work to put them up AND take them down, so I like to stretch it as long as I reasonably can. Each year as the kids get older, it becomes so much more of an ordeal. I used to decorate after the kids were in bed. But now, it is quite the family affair! It literally took all day. We started at 9:00 am and were finished (including clean up) by 4:00! I was exhausted!

We started out with cinnamon rolls. Wish I could say I made them from scratch, but I went the the easy "Grands" way this year.


Going through all our Christmas storage bins is about as exciting as Christmas morning!

We have three wooden nativity sets, one from Gam and two from Grandma in years past. They are a total hit! Glad we have three...it eliminates some fighting. (if you want a kid-friendly set, there is a great deal with free shipping here mockstarbaby.com)

Even Peyton wanted to be a big helper in EVERYthing this year! (don't worry, the box is empty!).


We also made sugar cookies as part of our "opening ceremonies".




My mom asked why the "Halloween cookies"? ha ha. While they DO look Halloween-ish, I was actually trying for a pumpkin theme to not completely over-look the Thanksgiving holiday! (This was the day before Thanksgiving).

OK, so this year I did something that went against my prior beliefs. I bought a fake tree (pre-lit with multi colored lights). Gasp! But I cannot tell you how tired I am of dying Christmas trees year after year....and 1,000,000 needles all over my floor! I have had the worst luck the past few years picking out trees with longevity. So, I found a great deal on a fake one and figured we'd give it a try. The verdict? Well, it was a pain in the butt to separate and fluff each branch, but once we finished that, it looks perfect! And I love knowing it will look like that for an entire month. I DO miss the pine smell. I've been burning Christmas-y candles, but I might have to get a wreath with real pine or something to make me feel authentic.

This gingerbread house (made of ceramic) is one of the favs. We got it at Costco about 5 years ago, and each year the kids love it more and more. They daydream about eating it (and try to taste it every year just to make sure!).


This is also the first year we have two trees. Last year, as part of my post-Christmas-sale shopping, I found a smaller fake tree for like $5 that I thought would be fun for the girls to decorate. And they love it!

I love the magical feel the lights and decorations give our house. And it's not even December 1st yet!


If you look closely, you can see what Peyton chose to do to entertain herself while we were focused on decorating (in addition to breaking lots of ornaments....). Ahhh, the fun of a two year old.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

We did the same thing today. But, Ryan wanted a fake tree but I couldn't do it. I don't know- the real tree is just such a tradition of Christmas for me. Luka is amazed by it.

Beth said...

One of my favorite parts of christmas! But I forget what a mess it makes. Instead of opening one box at a time my kids opened everything as fast as they could and pulled everything out at once! Still fun though!

Eliza2006 said...

I like Pey's decorating style! Cute tree...I'm tempted! We'll see how this one does this year!

britt said...

We have been FAKE for years. I do miss the REAL tree spell, all we ever had growing up, but it is MUCH easier with the artifial tree (once you get it all put together). I decorated on Friday and it was exhausting for me as well. You were much more festive than me, with cinnamon rolls and all! We did turn on the christmas music to get us all in the mood and we started out with the kids helping, but after ripping through the boxes and breaking a few things, I sent them upstairs to play. Ame helped me hang ornaments. I too got a small tree that I have on my porch that has lights and music. I LOVE the fake gingerbread house-very cute! I am hoping to make time to let the kids make them this year. We shall see!

Owen said...

Scott fluffed away on our tree and I have yet to put a single ornament on it. Bah humbug (however you spell that). I'm gearing up, cuz once I start I have to finish. Look at you with the rolls and all! So festive!

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Christmas decorating is so much fun. I like to start as early as possible also. I also like the idea of having a kid friendly nativity set. I put ours out yesterday and we've had some close calls and the kids' tree is a great idea. Love it!! I want to look for one after Christmas for next year. We've been fake now for two years and although I miss having a real tree and it's wonderful smell it sure makes cleanup easier and we are able to enjoy it earlier. Plus it makes me feel like I'm doing something good for the environment.

K Western said...

We've only put up our tree. Ashlyn's been begging us all week to get all the rest of our Christmas decorations down. We finally caved in and got them out tonight, but I just didn't have the energy to put any up. I let them dig through the boxes and take out whatever they wanted to play with. I'll try and get to it tomorrow.
I wanted to ask, is Peyton wearing underwear? How's her potty training going?