Friday, November 14, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things


Most mornings, Tucker and I are awakened by one, two or three little monkeys jumping around our bed. And, though I'll admit that there are times that I'm not in the mood for it and I deliriously say things like "Stop moving, stop fidgiting, lay down".....really, I feel special and blessed to have them there.

I remember, as a kid, loving my parents bed. It was always cozy....especially when they were in it. And my mom's pillow had my mom's smell, and my dad's pillow had my dad's smell. It was so safe and warm. I know that's how my kids feel too.

I also remember when Tucker and I were first married - and were still kid-less - we'd often lay in bed and daydream about what it would be like to have kids come jump in bed with us in the morning. Only.....the real thing happens at 6:30 am, and the daydream included us sleeping in till noon.

On any given weekday, we don't have much time to relax in bed before the getting-ready-for-school marathon begins. This is often the most stressful 45 minutes of my day, and can often leave me in a bad mood. But that's for another whole post...


For six years, I've felt lucky and happy to take care of my children without having to go to work. It's been both the hardest and the most wonderful thing. But since I'm preparing to change that when I student teach this spring.....I'm starting to feel sad when I think of missing out on some of my favorite parts of the day. One of my very most favorite parts is my one-on-one time with Peyton. On the mornings when we don't have to rush out the door, after the girls leave for school, I love to just sit and cuddle with her. Sometimes we read books, sometimes we watch T.V (her current obsessions include Baby Einstein, Teletubbies, the Letter Factory or Signing Time) and sometimes she just follows me around the house singing and talking. I love it and I enjoy being with that little kid more than I can explain!

Raising kids is hard. Really hard. But I know that someday, the bad and hard will fade and the good will become even more brilliant. I appreciate the blessings I have....three of the most precious being these three little girls. Jordyn, Lexi and Peyton....thank you for teaching me some of the most important lessons life has to offer (so far). I love you girls!

9 comments:

Melvin and Carly said...

Amen! Have you heard that song by Darius Rucker? "It won't be like this for long." Let's enjoy it even if it's hard because things change so fast.

julie said...

I love spending time cuddling with Ava on the mornings we don't have to get up and go, go, go all day! Isn't that really what life is all about? Treasuring the small moments in life that touch our hearts and make us better people. Awesome post!

Jill said...

Mike & I say the same thing remembering how we loved to be in our parent's bed safe and warm. Pretty soon they are too big! Good luck student teaching!

Tara said...

That is really sweet, you are so good to stop and appreciate this time. I tend to rush around and forget Eddie is even growing. You are a good example, thank you for sharing "mommy thoughts"!

Janessa Couch said...

I too would jump into my parents bed and love the smell of it. Whenever I was sick and had to stay home from school I would crawl into my parents bed and fall asleep immediately. Your pictures are really cute.

Chris Grover said...

amen, jamie. you said it perfectly! i can't wait until kaiya is old enough to come walking into our room for some snuggles in bed. my daydream is still much like yours before you had kids! not a reality yet! but wait, they come in at 6:30?! hehe! i love this post, jamie!

Grammy said...

I can rememer crawling in bed with my mom and dad some mornings, too. the would have their knees up while the sat there reading the paper. I would have to put my feet all they way up to make my part of the "tent" as high as theirs. I also love that my dad used to read me stories in bed. Wonderful memories you have triggered with this amazing post.

britt said...

Yes I have mixed feelings about the kids in the bed. Somedays I LOVE the cuddles and feelings of peace it brings. Others days with the kicking and lack of sleep it provides, not so excited! Unfortunately most of my days begin with the alarm waking me too early-telling me to GET UP and exercise b4 the craziness of the day begins- not the kids!

Owen said...

I love faking that I'm asleep to see if they'll still climb in our bed....they always do!