Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Our Saturday Project

Sometimes I get ideas that in my head seem really easy and do-able.....but in reality, they're pretty intense.

That's what happened on Saturday.

I've been craving some more creativity to our tract home yard, and no matter how many trees and flowers I plant, I can't quite satisfy that craving. So lately I have been driving around custom lots and really observing what gives their yards the extra curb appeal.

So, this was my first step toward change. And oh my gosh was it a big step.

We took the girls to Home Depot and I convinced Tucker it was a great day for this project (and it was....70 degrees, no scouting stuff...), so we "grabbed" 36 stones, four bags of top soil and a few other things (we ended up needing 36 MORE stones).

Bottom line, I'm really happy with how it turned out. But we have been soooo sore this week from it! First I spraypainted the lines of where I wanted to rip up the grass. Next we took a kitchen knife and sliced out sections of grass. Then we ripped it up with our bare hands!!! I never knew how incredibly heavy grass is.

Now I am trying to gather the energy to plant shrubs or plants along the edges of the stones. But I'm still recovering from the manual labor of last weekend!

Before, during and after pics:





10 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Really? That doesn't sound like your personality at all? ;)
I can't believe you all did that in one day! It looks great!

Tiffany

Janessa Couch said...

A little curb appeal goes a long way. You did a great job. I can not believe that you pulled up ALL of that grass by hand. WOW! I am impressed.

Unknown said...

Its a good think E wasn't there to see Tuckers bellybutton! HA HA HA
It looks so good, can you please come put in my whole yard now. It is so stressful to me- we have no idea what to do.

Chris Grover said...

WOW! that looks soooo great and completely changes the look of the front of your house! i'm so impressed! i get sore just pulling weeds, so i can only imagine how sore you guys must be feeling! but well worth it, huh?!

britt said...

What a job! Way to go!! It really does give your yard a whole new look.
I ordered about $70 worth of flowers and scrubs, that are going to arrive periodicallly over the next month or so, that will give me A LOT to do, once it arrives.
Just looking at your pics made me tired!

Debbie said...

that is a big job, wow! what did you do with all the grass? :)

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Wow!! It looks fantastic!!

Tara said...

Ohhhh Jay, it looks AMAZING!!!! What a change!!! If the sprinklers still hit it, there is such a variety of pretty moss and stuff for around the stones, or do you have other plans? I can't wait to see it finished! Also, the playhouse is DE-VINE!!! It reminded me that I want to turn the space under our deck into a playhouse, but I completely forgot about it. I now feel motivated to work on that this weekend, you sure did A LOT of work and it looks GREAT!

sosilly said...

Like mother like daughter!
(well 20 plus years ago!)
MOM

Jill said...

Great job, you two! Wow! We could use some of your energy at our house!