Friday, April 04, 2008

Flashback Friday

January 2000 - When Tucker proposed to me!

Tucker always knew he wanted to propose in a cool way. And so, as we were dating pretty seriously and he let so many holidays pass with NO question popped (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years).....I was like "what is he waiting for?".

You see, we weren't one of those couples where he asked me to marry him out of the blue. We talked....and talked.....and talked....and talked about it. If you know me, that doesn't surprise you. I like to be REALLY sure about something before I do it. And when it comes to something as huge as getting married, that's not a bad thing!

Anyway, Tucker wanted it to be special. So in January of 2000, we were living in UT and decided to take a trip to Cali to visit my family. Tucker knew this was the perfect time.

During one of our days in California (where we now live) we took a trip to the beach. As I was getting ready that morning, Tucker snuck out of the house with my sister Lindy to get some roses for me....and by the time I was done getting ready, he had packed his backpack full of surprises. Little did I know that Tucker had also been working for weeks on a song he wrote on the guitar.

So when we got to the beach, we set up a blanket to hang out on. And that was when it started.

"I want you to sit here and listen and don't say a word yet. I have something for you", he said.

He proceeded to whip out of his backpack a vase full of roses, a paper with words on it and he had brought his guitar.

I felt like time was standing still and I KNEW I was in a "moment". You know, almost like I was watching my own life or starring in a movie or something. One of those things that a girl often wonders about her whole life and it was actually happening.

Tucker sang the sweetest song to me, and with tears streaming down my face he got one his knees and asked me to marry him.

I said "YES!" and then he showed me the most beautiful ring. He said he did that on purpose so I wouldn't say yes just for the ring. Ha ha

I was in such a state of bewilderment and excitement. I'm so glad we thought of stopping a lady on the beach to take our picture for us! Its all sort of a blur. But I remember that I made him drive my car home because I wanted to stare at my ring the whole 2 hour drive! (he picked it out 100% on his own, by the way....that's how I wanted it).

Its sad what time can do. I used to remember every single detail of this story. And telling it would make me cry all over again because the emotions were so vivid. But 8 years (next month) later, its amazing how vague things can seem. I think I have a more detailed journal entry somewhere.

Either way, I loved this moment and I can honestly say it has only gotten better since then. I love you Tucker!




6 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

Wow, how romantic. Did you have any idea it was going to happen on that trip? Thanks for sharing. It is so fun to read stories like that.

I think that the reason that I love blogs so much is because it is an easier form of journaling for me and it is my true feelings that I can also share with others. I look forward to reading back a couple of years from now to see how much change has happened in my family.

Thanks again for sharing.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Wow! I love your proposal story. What a beautiful proposal. Thank you for sharing this with us and for bringing back Flashback Friday. We can't wait to see ya all next week!!

Jill said...

I love it! Ok, is it weird that it seems like more than 8 years to me? I know I knew you before you were married, but it just seems like you two have always been together! Cute way to propose! He's a keeper!

Tara said...

I love that story, you guys have alot of really great "romantic" stories. It just seems to be so natural for Tucker!?! You guys are a great couple, truly awesome. love you!

Beth said...

You look very content and happy in that picture. It is a so great that you have a picture in that moment. Your kids will love that! You still are a happy couple, and work together so well with your little family!

Eliza2006 said...

My wish is for Tucker to clone himself.

Tiffany