Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Cereal Quirk


Lately I've been eating lots of Cheerios. Just plain ol' Cheerios. You might think "my, how healthy!", but the twist is I put so much sugar on them that they are probably less healthy than a box of Cocoa Puffs! I like to have enough sugar that I can scrape some off the bottom of the bowl with each bite! Yum.


Speaking of cereal....I forget that I eat my cereal a little different than most people, since I've been doing it forever. You see, I put ice in it. Every. single. bowl. (which, by the way, is almost every single day of my life).


I can vaguely remember when this started. I think I was around 8 years old. My mom went on some kick where we drank either little or no milk at all. It was some sort of health fad during the 80's, I believe. So when I eventually started drinking it again, I decided that it got warm way too fast after I poured it in a glass. I'll have to confirm this with him, but I swear my Uncle Doug (who was living with us at the time) is the one who suggested that I put ice in it. I tried it and never looked back!


Maybe 1,000 times in the 23 years since then, various people have said to me "that is so sick!" or "gross" or "that is like putting water in your milk!". And I couldn't disagree more!

It keeps the milk so perfect and ice-cold! I love it! I don't ever let it sit long enough to actually melt, so it doesn't get watery. And especially in cereal - yum!


Not only do I put ice in my cereal, but I eat it a little differently. First of all, I prefer a large cup because it's portable. But first I put in the ice (two normal pieces) and then pour the milk on top. Then I get the box of cereal and add only a handful at a time. I keep repeating the process until the milk is gone or I'm full. This way, every bite is crunchy and cold! Just the way I like it!
Anyway, that is the deal. No one I know has been converted to my 'perfect' way of eating cereal. But I dare you to try it ;-) Maybe you'll love it too!


11 comments:

sosilly said...

It is the only way to eat cereal. Others need to see the light and join the club of ice in your cereal! You won't look back I promise.
MOM

Debbie said...

i have never tried ice in my cereal but i had to laugh because i am sitting with an empty glass of ice, that recently had milk in it. there is not better way to drink milk, it has to be cold!

Tara said...

Are you sure it started at 8? I would bet money you had ice in your sippy cup! :) I have had a number of morning discussions with my kids and Alyson, (with their eyes big as the moon), about how Alyson's Aunt Jamie puts ice in ANYTHING that involves cold milk. :) I love your quiks Jay, just love 'em! (I don't drink milk anymore, but I have tried your way, and I think as long as it wasn't fat-free milk, I didn't mind it)

Beth said...

that picture makes me feel sick. (ha, ha) I love this detailed description of your cereal eating. So your mom does it too. funny. I don't know if i'll ever convert to ice in my cereal. but I do love sugar on my cherrios!

Mike & Lindy said...

This is the ONLY way I will drink milk or eat my cereal!

Jamie and Family said...

Tara, I completely agree! I don't like ice in fat free milk. Something about it is too watery to begin with. I drink 1% and its great :-)

Unknown said...

You did teach me to always put ice in my milk. People always tell me how gross that is. However, I am not a cereal eater....never have been. So, I will have to pass on this one.

Chris Grover said...

i definitely agree that milk should be FREEZING cold, and i always remember you doing the ice thing. i have yet to try it, but maybe i should! my dad always keeps a glass frozen in the freezer to drink his milk in. even slightly warm milk = YUCK! unless, of course it's in a steamer, but then that has to be HOT! funny how we all have our little quirks, eh?

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I only like Milk when its cold. I've never tried ice with my milk but i think you've convinced me. I'm going to give this a try tomorrow morning.

Daytrippingmom Media said...

I didn't try it with my cereal today but I did try drinking milk with ice this morning and I actually really liked it. It wasn't watery at all and it tasted so yummie because it was soo cold.. Thanks for the tip!!

Carlotta said...

It was Uncle Doug. This makes me laugh. I remember when you would only drink milk when it was just opened and not after it was half way gone. LOL If I drank milk I would do this. I like it in the fat free milk though. After this many years of lactose intolerance milk tastes funny to me. =/ . People would look at me seriously strange when I did it.