Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pumpkin Yummies!

I'm a baker at heart. I mean, I don't MIND cooking meals....and I do think I'm a good cook. But I really LOVE baking....breads, cookies, desserts, etc.

And because I eat SO much (too much) of what I bake, I'm always looking for ways to make it healthier without sacraficing taste.

This time of year I especially have the urge to bake. And I especially want to bake pumpkin stuff.

I've made a few pumpkin bars/bread recipes this fall, and I finally found one that I like! I modified it a bit (less oil, more pumpkin and whole wheat flour) to make it healthier. But it stil tastes great! You can add raisins, nuts or craisins if you want, but I like to serve it with none other than Cream Cheese Frosting (THAT I don't make healthy, sorry).

Here's the recipe. I love to make huge recipes so I can deliver some to other people....just to keep with the whole Thanksgiving feel of the season. So, here you go!

Pumpkin Spice Bread/Bars
(this is a large recipe)

1 Big Can (29 oz) canned pumpkin
2 cups sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups water (you can sub ½ cup water for lemonade or orange juice)
1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola)
1 cup applesauce
6 eggs
5 cups all-purpose flour (I like to use wheat flour)
3 teaspoons baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)

This makes 6 loaves. Cool and wrap with saran wrap.
OR you can bake in a large cookie sheet (this recipe will probably fill 2 cookie sheets)


(Optional) Top or spread it with cream cheese frosting:
1 8 oz package cream cheese
½ cup butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I would make it just for the frosting:)

sosilly said...

I ate the whole pumpkin loaf and the container of cream cheese frosting. Thanks for a day worth of food! I LOVE the cream cheese frosting so much that I had my finger licking the bottom of the little container clean!
MOM

Beth said...

Is that the same that I tasted. It was very yummy. I also finished the loaf. By the time the loaf gets to a certain point you have to finish it, or else there is evidence that you didn't leave a fair amount for anyone else.

Tara said...

I'm going to try this sometime. Good for you, making it healthy (er). :)

britt said...

I also like to try to make things a bit more healthy and I have been on a pumpkin kick too. It only seems appropriate this time of year, right?!