Monday, November 26, 2007

NEEDED: Post-Vacation Vacation

I always have such mixed feelings when I come home from a big trip to Utah. They are:
1. I want to blog all 200 fun pictures
2. I am so freakin' tired I need a vacation from the vacation to recover.

These two feelings don't coincide very well together.

Usually on the 4th or 5th day of the trip, I start to feel "done". Not done seeing family [ I have the greatest in-laws in the world]. But "done" with things such as:
  • no sleep
  • baby on stairs
  • a head cold
  • sick baby
  • living out of suitcases
  • 24 hours round-trip driving
  • being T-I-R-E-D
  • did I say no sleep?
  • our car DVD player breaking

Last night it was midnight and we were hitting Barstow CA - only three short hours from home. But the holiday traffic was still around and I was cross-eyed with exhaustion. We decided we better get a hotel. We got settled around 1:00 am.

At 1:45 Peyton was crying and awake.

Got to sleep around 2:30.

At 6:45 Peyton was WIDE AWAKE and made sure her other 4 family members knew it!

Woohoo, nice 4 hour nap! Back on the road home!

We got home at 11:00 am. Tucker left for work an hour later and I stayed home to unpack and take care of tired/fighting kids and baby throw up everywhere. All the while I was deliriously tired.

See what I mean?

I have our first Harmony performance in the morning and family pictures in the late afternoon.

Sounds like I'm trying to kill myself off, huh?

But we had a GREAT Thanksgiving and the kids loved seeing their cousins (in Utah, there are 12 on Tucker's side and 1 on my side). They absolutely LOVE it!

Whew. Okay. Had to get that out and now I can move on to some trip posts.

6 comments:

Beth said...

all I can say is I can relate to it all. I'm sure we will talk in the morning. throw-up huh? Went through HELL to get home, but love being with family, and somehow will do it again someday? I must miss you, because for some reason got a little teary eyed looking at your new blog picture, and Lexi's birthday pictures.

Debbie said...

i can relate and look forward to your pictures.

no real reason on the 8 picture thing. i just did not want to put a ton up.

Tara said...

You did good, and the nice thing is, you won't have to deal with another vacation for a while. :) It's nice to stay home for at least ONE holiday, right?

Grammy said...

Traveling with little kids is taxing, no matter what happens! You are a trooper for doing it. We missed seeing you, but totally understand the business of being on vacation to see family. We love you!

Chris Grover said...

hope you guys had a great trip! sounds like a good hectic, which trips always are!

britt said...

I think everyone can relate to the joy of traveling. We are sad we missed seeing you. Look forward to pics from your trip though.
I was a bit confused at first and thought you WERE taking a hawaii christmas trip. We should really plan to go sometime (together would be fun, wouldn't it!!)