Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Today

Today Lexi asked me for candy at least 625 times. If you heard her all day long [and didn't know me better], you would think there was no other possible explanation for her persistant requests except that I must usually hand out candy like a walking pinata - and today she was going through withdrawals.

I can't figure it out. I think it's a way to get attention. Because after piano lessons I got the girls a See's Candy sucker (that was messier than heck but lasted them 45 minutes). As we were driving home, Lexi hands me her sucker saying she was done. Then, she started it for the 428th time...."Mom, can I have candy? Mom, can I have candy? Mom, can I have candy?". Each time I calmly said no. Then I moved on to NO. Then, before I knew it, I was screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you just HAD CANDY! and STOP ASKING! She just sort of smiled and actually did stop asking after that.

I cannot believe how repetetive little kids can be. It's mind blowing. I do a good job of staying calm for quite a while. But the thing about me (a family trait) is that the sweeter I start to talk, the closer to exploding I am. So, if my kids hear me say "Honey, please stop saying that right now. Mommy is getting frustrated" in a really sing-songy sappy voice...they better watch out!

But being a mom does have lots and lots of perks. And I really do love it. No matter how hard it feels, I never DON'T want to be a mom. I just wish we had an alotted amount of times per day we could hit the "pause" button on life. Or even mute button.

Perks....like all the unexpected things that make me smile. When Peyton crawls into the room, looks up at me with the most beautiful smile and says "Hiiiiiii !". I could just eat her up. Or today, Jordyn asked Lexi if she could use her dry-erase number book. Lexi said "Sure! Just lick it the marks clean with your tongue when you're done, okay?". I laughed and handed Jordyn a paper towel instead.

I'm off to work on my Stake Conference talk. This Saturday is taking forever to come and go. My mom called me today and warned me that I should be prepared to get extra refining in the days leading up to my talk. The adversary has a strategy in all things. The last thing Satan would want is for me to feel prepared in my topic "Keeping the Spirit of Christ in my Home". Ha! I'm gonna stay strong and try to keep this peaceful feeling I've had about giving this talk [so far]. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Beth said...

Love the mute button idea! I do the same thing with my voice. It is like a coping stratagy. Friday maybe we can work something out so I can give you some quiet time to work on your talk.

Mike & Lindy said...

Lexi cracks me up, she has a radar that senses anything that is sweet! She is a little candy scavenger.

Unknown said...

Cooper does the same thing- Candy, candy, candy,. He literally asks for it for breakfast. They are such stinkers.

britt said...

I hear ya. Kids just don't stop sometimes. Kaipo sometimes just says mom, mom, mom, mom and I will say what or yes? to his repeated nothingness. Cuz finally when I yell WHAT? he says, umm....and has nothing really to say.
Patience, patience, patience is what I try to teach my kids when they want something NOW, and yet I don't even have very much of it myself!

Jill said...

I want a mute button! Good luck with that talk! I think I would pass out if they asked me to do that...but I don't have to worry as I'm not at righteous as you are! Can Tucker video you so we all can see you giving the talk?

Chris Grover said...

GOOD LUCK! That is such an awesome opportunity! And don't you wonder how kids don't get bored of themselves asking something so many times over and over again?! Ahhh, I can't wait for these stories to be happening to me!