Tuesday, June 26, 2007

'Famous' Family Blender Drink

Ever since I can remember, the *B* Family Blender Drink has existed (I hesistate to share last names on a blog, but you know who I mean). My mom always made the BEST blender drinks, and now that my sisters and I have our own kids, we are keeping the tradition alive! Our kids love these blender drinks and get them quite regularly. The ingredients are basic and can be modified (for example, you could add protein powder, vitamins, or when I was a kid my mom used to add raw egg for my dad - yuck!). Here's how I do it:

[For a 24 oz serving, (good for 1 adult or two kids)]...

-1 cup milk
-1 banana (best if its pretty ripe, a little sweeter)
-a couple swirls of honey
-heaping spoonful of peanut butter (or to taste)
-chocolate! (this is optional, I like it best with it, and I use Ovaltine, Instant Breakfast or Quick)
-one big handful of ice, (then add one cube at a time until it is swirling smoothly but not watery)
-blend (to me the key is to blend A LOT) till smooth, no chunks.

I use it as a snack, a breakfast drink or if there is absolutely nothing else I can get down the kids, at least this has SOME nutrition. Growing up I loved to drink it with toast on the side. All their friends that come over want their parents to make it for them. Try it!

5 comments:

Tara said...

Aaah sweet memories! Too bad my dad's vegetable pancakes were not as fond of a memory or I would share that recipe. ;) I think the blender drinks were more of a hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I had forgotten that there was honey in it. My peanut butter/ chocolate/ banana drinks never tasted quite like I remember your mom making. Must be the honey!

Unknown said...

My mom made that blender drink for my kids last week. It is so good.

Chris Grover said...

Oh man, these drinks are the REAL DEAL! I remember those drinks so much and really, they are famously delicious!! Thanks for the recipe, although for some reason, they just don't taste quite the same unless someone from your family makes them!

britt said...

i remember this drink! I think I might even try to make it for my kids tonight!!
yum

Eliza2006 said...

I love that shake!

Tiffany