Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Stay at Home Mom, aka Chauffeur and Secretary


It's been interesting to have two kids in full-blown school this year. Every evening, my counter looks exactly like this. I open their backpacks and they literally explode with papers. It can be any combination of the following:
  • homework (every night)
  • parent volunteer form
  • school shirt purchase order
  • school picture order
  • back-to-school night info
  • fund raiser! (puke)
  • books/reading log
  • join parent club!
  • grandparents day info
  • every single paper they ever touched that day
  • (all of this x2, I can't imagine having more kids in school)

Sometimes, at the end of a long day, my brain can hardly (or doesn't want to) process it all. And Jordyn (1st grade) and Lexi (Kinder) have an unusual situation because they are at SEPARATE schools. We do not have K-6 here, so I get EVERYTHING sent home double, but it's all slightly different. ie: Jordyn's back-to-school night is one week and Lexi's is the next. They both have the same fund raisers at the same time. And pick-ups/drop-offs have different times at different schools. Anyway, I often feel like their chauffeur and secretary!

Good news is, Jordyn is an exceptional reader and so she will do all of her homework while I'm doing other things around the house and I just answer occasional questions. She is very self-motivated and actually loves to do her homework. So, I'm seeing the importance of promoting them to take responsibility so I'm merely directing the show and they know their part!

And with that, I will remind myself yet again "welcome to motherhood"! It's like I continually have to be inducted into the club of motherhood. And honestly, I don't mind it. I actually get sad sometimes because the busier we get, the faster they seem to grow up.

4 comments:

Owen said...

SO TRUE! My kids and I do the same thing! Every morning there's 15 somethings I need to look over, uncrumple fundraising papers (then crumple them back up), sign up for this or that, and on and on! I tell my mom all the time I literally cannot imagine having all 4 kids in school, a sport, piano, scouts, activity days, birthday parties, etc! I may need a personal assistant! There is nothing "stay at home-ish" about our duties! Good luck with the chaos! I'm told once it's gone, we'll wish it was back!

*Jessica* said...

I an also scared about having more kids in school, I need to figure out a really organized system. I feel like an idiot all the time when the kids come home telling me that I was suppose to send back something signed, or the money for the field trip was do yesterday. Sometimes I think the teachers think "What is wrong with her, she doesn't even work."
Oh well, I'll tell you what since I have had kids start school I truly feel like a "Real Mom" running like a chicken with my head cut off, and then forgetting where I put it. I have a feeling things aren't going to get any better. DANG IT!!

Anonymous said...

Uhh Yaa, I feel your pain and I only have Jake! And then I wonder why I was excited for school to start again?
Tabby

britt said...

I have to say I am still in the excited stage of it all, but it has been an adjustment to get her up and ready by 8:15 everyday! Last year with pre-school it was only 2 or 3 days a week and at a later time.
Although it has only been a week Ame too loves homework and had her Weeks worth of homework done on the 1st day, except daily reading! it is NICE when they are self-motivated!