Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Some Life Updates

Before I post about the trip to Utah for Tucker's Grandpa's funeral, I wanted to do some updates for my journaling sake.

Update #1: My School
I took a couple of months off, and I am now finishing my last class for my California Teaching Credential (much more rigorous than many other states, I must say). I have also chosen to add five more courses to my schedule so I can complete my Master's in Education. If I complete it while still enrolled in this program, it's much simpler and faster. So I thought, why not? I've often wondered why I am doing this school stuff right now in the middle of three young kids. There was no pressure, no rush, and not a specific reason. I guess one of the initial reasons was because I needed to be fulfilled by something besides motherhood. That isn't to dimish the importance of being a mom - in fact I love it - but I felt that I would enjoy it even MORE if I continued to develop *Jamie* in addition to fulfilling the role of *mom*. And I really have enjoyed it. I am supposed to student teach this spring for 16 weeks. I'm excited about the experience, but I'm also dreading the juggling of the kids. I'm not so worried about Jordyn and Lexi because they will be in school most of the time. But I don't want little Peyton to feel cheated out of her mommy! So, I'm praying I can figure out the smoothest way to do it and figure out a schedule that is safe and comfortable for Peyton while I'm gone. It's only four months, right?

Update #2: The Arthritis
This is a subject that has been virtually non-existant for about a year. It got sooooo bad last year, that I weaned Peyton early off breastfeeding so I could begin the proper medication. But before I ever began the injections, the arthritis because much more tolerable....and even became scarce for a while. Sadly, this past moth, it has creeped back into my life in a noticeable way. My left knee is so filled with the fluid that it is nearly impossible to bend and its becoming harder to walk comfortably, my jaw hurts so bad it is hard to eat and chew gum, many of my fingers are stiff. I also have lots of other pain points and in the morning I literally feel like I was hit by a truck. Usually this lessens as the day goes on. So all in all, it's not SEVERE and I hate to even complain. But it's just a nuisace and uncomfortable. I have an appointment next week to get my knee drained, which helps a lot (for a little while).

Update #3: Potty Training
Peyton loves going on the potty (she's 23 months). She can go on demand, and she knows how to hold large quantities of urine at a time! But we were also having lots of peeing on the floor (isnt' there special carpet just for mommies of young kids?) and I was hearing lots of "pee pee Mommy" AFTER the fact....so we've settled in the middle for now. I take her on the potty often and she wears panties when we're home, but I'm not shooting for FULL potty training yet because I'm not getting the vibe from her that it's worth my energy YET. I'm sure I'm confusing the heck out of her, but what we're doing works for us and since I've been through this twice before, I'm not too worried about it. We'll keep working on it, but it's not worth deep frustration on my part by pushing something prematurely. So I guess I'd say she's in the transition phase of potty training!

Update #4: The Girl's School
The girls have adjusted well to school. But if I don't get them in bed by 7:30 (8:00 at the latest) then we all pay for it. They get up no later than 7:00am and it's go-go-go from there. Many days they come home from school and watch a TV show to have some down-tim, but other days there is piano or dance, and other days there are friends or cousins to play with so they are very active. They are both in the top reading groups, which is both a blessing and a relief to me. Lexi is young for Kindergarten, but she has really flourished in it. I think it was the right thing to start her, but I am still very open to having her repeat K or 1st if it feels best for her later future (like jr high or High School) social-wise. I get to volunteer in their classrooms, which I love. I love to see them in their school-element and they think I am a celebrity when I walk into the room. I'm eating it up because I know someday it will ignite deep embarrassment to have Mom on campus! I do have to say, I'm crossing my fingers that Jordyn's classroom gets better when her teacher returns from maternity leave. They've had a long-term sub since the second week of school, and it just seems totally chaotic. I also am still working on a good pattern for Peyton and I while the girls are at school. It's still strange to me to have just one child at home! I'm afraid I'm too boring for her. But she sure gets lots of hugs and kisses from mommy all day long :-)

Update #5: Tucker as a Scoutmaster
I have such a love/hate relationship with the scouting program. Tucker has been the Venture Crew Leader for 2 1/2 years. My love part of it stems from seeing my husband excel in the areas he is most talented in. He is helping to shape the lives of the boys in his crew (12 or so boys) with his enthusiasm, motivation and adventurous personality. He is also keeping an important part of himself and his passions alive by keeping in touch with the outdoors and I believe this is vital to be able to be a good husband and father and even businessman. The hate part of it stems from how much time it takes away from our family. It is a definitely sacrifice. Some days I feel strong and supportive, knowing that sacrifice is an importance part of this life. Our family is blessed in many ways, and I think service is what keeps our spirits alive. And I love our girls to see Tucker keeping his passions alive and he loves to share things with them that he does/learns through scouting. He's teaching them through his example. But on my bad days, I just want him HERE with us! We have lots and lots and lots of conversations about balance (lots) and we are constantly making sure we have a balance. I'm always giving him a different perspective (usually through analogies - he calls me the analogy queen). I know this won't last forever, and I deeply believe the grass is NOT greener on the other side of anything. So, I'm thankful that Tucker is so open to my opinion, feelings and that when he IS with us, he makes the most out of every minute. The man's got endless energy, I swear! He is leaving again in the morning to complete the last half of Woodbadge Training (which is like the "Master's Degree" of scouting), so we'll miss him again!

Final Update #6: A Fourth Child
Still in discussion. Not ruled out.....but not an action item either ;-). Just because you were wondering.

6 comments:

Tara said...

Thanks for the update. Like most of your readers, I have been wondering about all those things in your life, and it's good to know how it's going. I look forward to hearing what the doctor says. I keep hoping that some amazing new medical discovery will be made that will minimize the pain and the progression without all those side-effects. Please keep us posted on what treatment you choose, and what it means for you long term. (of course I can always do my own research once you decide what you are going to do) And good for you with your school! I feel the same way, and I wish school was an option for me at this time, but I'm still happy with my art room. :) Go Pey Pey! I'm sure she will be fully trained before you know it! Also, you are doing great with the school thing. My kids have had the 7:30 or 8 bedtime for years, I swear by it. If Jade is a little more emotional, I make it 7. And you are a patient wife, that's all I can say about that. and Tucker is awesome, I wish Josh and Eddie could have him for a scout leader. :) Maybe you guys will decide to move up here by the time my boys are teenagers? *hint, hint* :)

Beth said...

I hate it that you have this arthritis. I think I was getting comfortable with your symptoms being gone that just maybe it wouldn't come back. I'm sorry your knee is and other areas are feeling like that. This is going to be a painful weekend. I wish Dane could just drain your knee for you right now. That came on so fast. Being in constant pain is very draining and exhausting. It is a battle to not become discouraged or depressed. Do what you need to do to stop the progressison if this. I'll be thinking of you.

Aimie said...

I didn't realize you had arthritis. I have it in both hips and it comes and goes as well. It started after I had Avery. Luckily if I take my Relefen daily ( which I rarely do) unless it is really bad it works for now. I also found out I have a tear and cyst in my shoulder. I have no idea how it happend but only surgery will fix it. I guess this is a sign on what's ahead. I thought this happens at a later date not in our 30's. Thanks for giving me great reading material. BTW Peyton is doing awesome Avery tells me she has to go after she fills her diaper.

britt said...

Wow, you are such a busy mom! I too have thought about getting my masters through the school quinn mentors for. I am still waiting for the time that I feel is right for the family.
I too love the feeling Ame's shows ME when I arrive to help in her class. SO excited and proud. I know it won't be that way forever, so I am also enjoying it!
I empathize with you for your pain and arthritis. I am glad to hear you had some relief for a bit. Hopefully you can get some help, that works!!
Early bed is great. I need to get mine to 8:00 though. It's 8:30ish now. It is just hard to get them in bed earlier.

Anonymous said...

Not to minimize your worry about Pey in any way, it is a valid worry, it is all in how you handle it and respond to it yourself. In my opinion. Also true, only 4 months. I have done it for almost 8yrs. She will be ok, I assure you. It is hard though , it is a worry, it is a concern, it is because you love her so much. If you didn't it wouldn't bother you so much.

Since you have given me advice my whole life ;) here is a little for you from your younger sister;

Do a pros and cons list of student teaching and a pros and cons list of not student teaching. It brings the distress down a bit and helps put into perspective your objective and then make your choice based on your short or long terms goals and values. =)

I know you like those list things and more structured ways =)

If it doesn't make sense let me know. I can give you the whole background on it. It is my skill I learned for Pros and Cons. It has helped me with "emotionally emailing".

Daytrippingmom Media said...

Jamie,
You have so much going on! I'm so impressed with how you handle it all and have time to finish your schooling. I've been finishing my degree a class or two at a time and for me schooling is the hardest to handle. I always want to put off schoolwork last. I think it's great that you will be student teaching. You are going to love it I'm sure and it will all work out with Peyton.

I'm sorry to hear about your arthritis- I can't even imagine. I had a flare up with my knee and my ligament this week- I think I finally tore it completely and have so much fluid billed up. I can't imagine having to have that pain through my whole body and having flare ups constantly.I hope the doctor can help you out. I hope you feel better soon!!

Oh by the way I was watching one of the morning shows- can't remember which.. maybe the Today Show..they where talking about arthritis and Acupuncture and how it can help. Maybe you can email Mike about it.