Tuesday, September 02, 2008

I Stand Corrected!

For 9 1/2 years....ever since I met Tucker......I've made claims that "he isn't what you'd call a handy man" (actually, he is the first to admit it). Over the years, there have often been times I've wished he wanted to run to Home Depot and build something on a whim of mine.

Deep down, I wondered if there was SOMETHING there he could tap into. Some hidden talent. I mean, his dad built in their basement for heaven's sake! Didn't he inherit or absorb ANY of that? I have wondered.

And now I can safely say that I stand corrected! Deep down, there is a tiny bit of a handy man inside Tucker! And now he can no longer deny it. Check out what he did in the laundry room. It may not look like a huge deal, but to us it feels like he added on a room to the house! We keep walking in to stare at it! He built it perfectly, and I painted it to make it look like part of the house.

I've also learned a lesson. Sometimes things like the laundry room shelf full of crap (with a capital "C") falling down.....are actually blessings in disguise. Because now, instead of closing the door and avoiding the laundry, I actually WANT to do laundry in this clean, organized space!

Here are the before and afters:





7 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

Nice! I'll have a little list ready for him the next time you all are in UT!

Tiffany

sosilly said...

Is he for hire?
You let out a very big secret and you will NOT be sorry for that!
MOM

Beth said...

I'm very impressed with the shelf and especially how sturdy it looks. It even looked like he was enjoying himself and pretty into it. I'm proud of you Tucker. Now maybe you can ease him into your honeydo list. Nice and slow though.

britt said...

I have thought the SAME about QUinn, but he has surprised me on a few occasions. Having your own home definitely brings the handy man out of him. Cuz it is either pay someone else to do it, or figure it out on your own! (especially now that my dad is far away)
Way to go tucker. It difinitely means so much more, when its made from your own hands (or your hubbies)

*Jessica* said...

Congrats Tucker, very good job. I also have a husband with a deficiency in handimanism. I find that they need lots and lots and lots of praise. When they see they are so appreciated for thier efforts they think they can fix anything. That can be good or bad. I can also appreciate the giddiness of having an area of your home perfectly organized. We get so excited about the smallest things. Too funny!!

Anonymous said...

I replaced the wax seal on our toilet this past weekend (this involves removing the toilet) and I can totally relate to Tucker.

Tara said...

WhooHoo!!! GO Tucker!!! That looks fantastic! Now there are endless possibilities for new storage space with him around to create it!
*look for hollow spaces in the walls where he can cut out and make some built in shelves, or add more to the bedrooms, playroom, etc. He can take off with this new skill!!!