Friday, September 12, 2008

Family Friday - Lindy

Born in 1983, Lindy is the third child out of five. She is six years younger than me. I remember when my mom was pregnant with Lindy, we had a family meeting to talk about her name. We had to decide if we liked "Lindy" better or "Lindsay", and Carly and I voted "Lindy". When my mom left home to give birth to Lindy, to me, as a near-six year old, it felt like she was gone for an entire week!


At that age, I thought it was so fun to have a baby sister! I would love her, and tease her, and play with her. When Lindy was around three, I loved to take a bath with her and I had a mean ritual where I'd scream "there's a 'pider on your head!".....and she would freak out every single time! Without fail.


Lindy was the peacemaker of our family. She'd see me and Carly get into knock-down-drag-out fights and would stay totally neutral and calm. She was always willing to serve and help others. Lindy was quiet, but I always knew there was a lot going on inside her head.


There were many times growing up that I wished Lindy and I were closer in age. When you're young, six years is a world of difference. So I found it really fun when I was 21 and Lindy was 15, she was able to come stay with me in my college apartment in Utah for like a month. That's when I first started to feel our age gap closing just a little.


Finally, Lindy graduated High School the same year I graduated from the University of Utah with my Bachelor's. And slowly, over the next few years our worlds collided. Lindy moved in with Tucker and I to be our live-in nanny for a few months after Jordyn was first born. I loved that! It was then that she met her future husband, Mike, and was soon a married woman just like me!


Two and a half years ago, Lindy and Mike moved just a few miles away from us here in California. It has been so fun to share in motherhood with my sister just down the street! We spend so many days hanging out together, we go to church together, laugh together, have heartaches together and watch our kids grow up together. The six years has completely melted and disappeared (except I have more wrinkly and saggy skin already), just as I'd always hoped for. I honestly don't know how I'd survive without the relationship we've developed.



Lindy is still the peacemaker in our family. She loves deeply, but avoids contention and is always supportive. It's been so fun to see Lindy evolve from a shy little girl to a beautiful and talented wife, mother and most of all, friend! Lindy and Mike along with Lyric (3) and Paxton (1) play a key role in our family and we all love them very much!!!

6 comments:

Janessa Couch said...

All I can say is I love your family friday idea! It has been fun to read.

Mike & Lindy said...

Thanks for the post! I am amazed at how many great pictures you have!

sosilly said...

Wow, that was beautiful. I love to see sisterly love.
MOM

Daytrippingmom Media said...

What a great post!! It's a mixture of Flashback Friday and this is your life. I love it.

Chris Grover said...

lindy is such a GREAT girl! i still remember those few months she lived with us and how much fun she was to have around! it's special to have such a great relationship with your sister!

Anonymous said...

You are forgetting nicknames - Boo- Ro- Wid! Ha! Just don't put mine =) I remember we would call Ryan - Rhyno too. I would call him Rayanne when he would whine and Mom would get mad. =) I remember the pictures like yesterday. It is like flashbacks in my memory. It's crazy. I wish I could have everything in the forefront of my mind instead of the hussle and bussle of life. Thank goodness for technology to be able to make time stand still for a moment.