Friday, July 18, 2008

Oldest Child and Learning to Parent


There's just something about your oldest. You see them different, you treat them different, and even when you try not to, it happens!

My mom would tell me all the time when Jordyn was younger, maybe 3, "she's still a baby" or "don't be so hard on her". And it would frustrate me because I'd think she doesn't realize how much I am at my wits end with her behavior. I didn't always like that my mom saw Jordyn as a "baby" when I saw her as my smart, big girl who knew exactly what she was doing. Plus, Jordyn seemed big compared to her 1 year old little sister.

At six years old, Jordyn isn't by any means old, but I've started to understand why my mom thought of her as baby-ish still. It hasn't been until my third child that I've learned to relish in the age and not push them into an age or stage that they aren't ready for. People could have told me this would happen (and my mom did) till they were blue in the face, but you don't "get it" completely until you experience it.

It has been quite the journey to get to know my three very different girls. Jordyn is my oldest and has a very strong personality. She and I do a little more head-butting than I'd like and there seems to be a tendency for a power struggle between us. I noticed this happening around age three and it escalated at age 5. It was so hard for me, and I'd get so frustrated with her TOTAL disregard for me that I'd want to stick my tongue out at her or something childish! (don't worry, I never did). Over time, I started to realize that these power struggles were starting a horrible pattern that would be so hard to un-do.

As an example, Jordyn would hit Lexi for some simple reason. Then I'd say "Jordyn, please go to your room for a break from Lexi" and she would immediately give me the dirtiest look and say "No, I'm not listening to you". I would then say "You do NOT talk to mommy that rudely, go to your room now". And she would not budge. And as she could tell that I was getting increasingly upset, she'd actually start laughing. Oh my gosh, it was so frustrating.

I have tried so many things, including positive reinforcements. And I started noticing that once she crossed a certain point, a point that I am still learning to recognize, then it does no good to try to reason with or teach her because she literally can't internalize it. I've started learning that I have to stop her from getting to that "point" or teach her to recognize when she's passed the "point" so she knows what to do.

As I've tried to understand this "Point" I'm talking about, it's sort of hard to explain. But its like her brain doesn't have a regulater to help her feel when she's too tired, too bored or overdone with something. So, her brain switches and she gets out of control. She'll hit, or do childish things (write on the couch) or completely disrespect me. This can happen when she's playing too hard for too long, or even when she's too unstructured for too long. I started to understand this when she would come home from school - which is very structured and she LOVED it - and she wouldn't know how to handle the let down when she got home.

Anway, we are making progress. We seem to clash less and instead of getting mad at HER, I try to help her to recognize what she is feeling. Like the other day, we were getting ready to go swimming after a long, lazy morning and she had hit her "point' of floundering around with not enough direction and she started flopping all over the couch, sitting upside down, teasing Lexi, saying rude things to me, and just had an overall "I don't care, this is sort of fun to make you guys upset" attitude. I kept threatening that we would NOT go swimming if she didn't stop it, but it didn't help for longer than a minute. Finally, I pulled her aside, got down by her and said "Jordyn, you need to stop and take a deep breath. Remember how mommy has talked about that feeling inside? That feeling that you can't control yourself? You need to listen to that and when that happens, that means you need to either go to your room and read, you can color, you can go outside, whatever, but you have to pull yourself back and focus. Focus."

For some reason she seems to get it, and I think she is learning to recognize that feeling. I always wonder how much of the whole overstimulated issue is due to being a preemie. That is totally likely and possible, but regardless I have to teach her to deal with it. Lexi doesn't seem to have this same issue. She seems to have an internal regulator and when she is overdone or tired, she calms down or removes herself naturally, rather than getting more wild and obnoxious. Anyway, this has been a good phase with Jordyn. We've had less power struggles, and I feel less frustrated at her - so that's a good thing.

I love my girls. I can't believe how much better you get to know your strengths and weaknesses when you are a parent. Again, it's something people might TELL you before you do it, but it isn't until it's a firsthand experience that you really start, just start, to get it!

11 comments:

britt said...

THAT was really insightful Jamie. Thank you for sharing. It really gave ME some ideas to ponder, and possibly try with Ame.
ps I LOVE your NEW lay-out on your page. Maybe you can give me some pointers on how to improve mine! I would love it!

Beth said...

love the realness of this post. I think your incredibly patient and good with the phases of your children. It inspires me to do better. I agree with the third child thing. It took me that long to figure it out too, then I feel guilty for being so hard on LIndsay especially. but now I feel like it's hard to stop because our relationship is somewhat set in stone. I had to laugh at Dane in the background of your cute Jordyn picture.

Unknown said...

Oh man Cooper is like this and more! I find myself in tears many days when I don't know what to do and I don't want to be a screaming maniac towards him. He is so full of passion and I want to help him gear that towards positive things rather than negative! Thanks for the insight and reminder that I'm not alone.

Jill said...

You're a good mommy, Jamie! I love how thoughtful you are! Your girls are very lucky!

tamster17 said...

Hi Jamie! Saw your blog link on Katie's and decided to check it out! You look great! It was fun to see you and your family -- your 3 girls are adorable! My oldest (Kayla) sounds a lot like yours. She can be very defiant and abrasive and it can be very overwhelming as a mother. It's very interesting how different each child is and to figure out how to best deal with each one. I haven't figured it all out -- don't know if I ever will! Parenting is a lot harder than it looks -- that's for sure!

Matt Worley said...

Wow, you mean parenting is going to require more thought than "go to your room!"? Darn, I was ready to use that one too. Thanks for the story, I think it is goo to have reminders of raising children that have their own mind and their own personalities.

Matt Worley said...

-Katie

Daytrippingmom Media said...

What a great post. I really needed to read this. So often I find myself in a hurry for the phase in each of my kids life. I find myself saying I can't wait until Mikey's potty trained or until Lauren is in kindergarten and I feel like most of the time I'm not living in the moment.

I'm just now starting to have power struggles with Lauren. She is so sassy and talks back to me when I tell her to do something. I really have to bite my tongue because it is really frustrating. I had to laugh at the you really don't' get it part until you experience it firsthand . I just remember people telling me how you really don't completely "get" the whole parenting thing until you have two kids and me going.. yeah .. yeah. sure - and know I get it!! Thank you for your honesty and a great post.

Tara said...

It's beautiful the way you write Jay. Talk about not being able to change tracks and relationships set in stone! Jade is going to be 11 next month and I feel like there is no way to undo that whole "first child" thing. I have put so much on her, and keep doing it even though I tell myself I won't, and now she is a very intense pre-teen who has high expectations and freaks out about everything! She is also super responsible, I can't imagine Josh doing near what she did at 6, so putting a lot on her has also enabled her to feel so independent, she can do anything. (not always good, but sure helpful at times) The only way I avoid guilt is to tell myself they came with the personality and character to handle my mothering skills, and there is a way for each of them to be functioning adults in spite of my mistakes. :) Those first borns, we are all generally similar due to each of us being the "test run" for our parents, no way around it, can't be helped. :) I love how you express your feelings in this post, it is right on what we all feel as mothers, and what we constantly need to be reminded of. Thanks Jay!

Chris Grover said...

the best thing about you, jamie, is how you see your kids sooo individually. you recognize, as their mother, what they each need and you adjust your parenting for each of them. that seems like such a hard thing to do, but you do it so well. and the fact that you put so much thought into understanding your children makes you an incredibly intuitive mother. i guess as a parent, you never stop learning, huh? thanks for such great insight!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie, I was looking at blogs today and decided to check out yours, as I haven't in a while. First of all, I love your new layout. Secondly, what a cute mom you are. I remember the frustration of my first child as well. I really thought he was out to get me! First children are really our "guinea pigs" and we kind of grow up together! My mother-in-law said it best when she told me all you need to do is love them! I thought she was crazy, thinking - "These kids need discipline!" But as it turned out, she was right. Like the Beatles song, "All You Need is Love!'