Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Big Project

Me and Georgeanna on one of our evening interviews

So, a few months ago I was asked by the Stake Presidency to help with a big Stake History project. This year marks 30 years since our particular stake here in California was formed (for a pretty good explanation of what a "stake" or a "ward" and how the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is structured, go here). They asked if I could put together some sort of slide show or video presentation to show at a celebration gathering in August.

"Sure!" I said. I'd done lots of slide-shows and figured if everyone handed me the pictures they wanted for their own ward (several wards, or congregations, make up a stake - maybe 8 or 9 congregations in our case), then I'd just throw them together.

Well, months later, I've realized that this thing has taken on a life of its own. Oh my gosh. It's really turning into more of a "E True Hollywood Story" or something like that, which I am definitely not equipped to handle. Georgeanna and I have been traveling around the stake boundaries (maybe a 90 mile diameter, and who knows the radius) video taping interviews with people who have been here forever. Georgeanna is the most energetic 70 year old I know, and we both look at eachother like "what have we gotten into?".

So, with a mixture of interviews, photos, and narration, I will (cross my fingers) come up with something half-way decent to present on August 23rd in front of the entire Stake (which can be up to 2,500 people). I am SOOOO not professional and feel completely inadequate for this. Pray for me!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow- sounds very over whelming. Patty left a comment that you had been over to video tape her. Sounds so stressful but I know you will do a perfect job.

Katie said...

When I was younger I used to go to events at church or at school, or wherever and it totally didn't matter how much time and effort was put into all the planning and preparation, not to mention the number of people that are needed and man hours.

Now that I am older and I have actually been IN CHARGE of a stake fireside for the youth (to kickoff our pioneer trek) I have soooo much appreciation for even the little things. I can't even imagine the amount of work you guys are doing. It is quite the undertaking, and I hope it goes smoothly for you. One of my biggest problems is that I can't let things go, so if something doesn't work out the way I want, I get so stink'n upset. So my advise, don't sweat the small stuff.

Janessa Couch said...

Cute blog background.

My Mom said that you are doing a great job and I believe her. What a stressful task, but you will be great. I just sent my mom my memories of Corcoran Branch. It was fun to reminiss through memories.

Beth said...

It's amazing that people will just watch the presentation and say "oh that was great", and have no idea what an undertaking that was for you. It will be an important part of history that you are creating. I'm really proud of you that you are going for it combined with your other small calling. You are totally talented in that area and don't realize that you are profestional. I do want to see the end result. Love the blog pictures!!!

Beth said...

For some reason it's bugging me that Tucker's toe nails aren't painted in your picture. Maybe just a clear coating!

Chris Grover said...

oooh, nice new layout! love the pics! what a task, but i KNOW it will turn out amazing cause that's just how you do things! my parents will be excited about this!

Tara said...

Holy cow Jay! What an incredible thing you are doing! I have to disagree with some of the other comments though, I think most people, and all of the "long-timers", will think it's the greatest thing that you put it all together, and everyone will want a copy of it. Especially people like Karli's parents who have moved away, but have most of their memories in that stake, you will have to send them a copy for sure. This is SO neat! I think when it's all over, you will be glad you did it and made such a beautiful collection of memories that will probably make lots of people cry. :) Good luck, I wish I could help in some way!

LOVE the new header.... and your forever red toenails. ;)

Melvin and Carly said...

Boy, that does sound like a big project! I'm sure you and Georgeanna will do a great job. Are you still in the Primary as well?

And I, like everyone else, love the new look on your blog!

britt said...

But YOU are soo good at putting STUFF together, I bet you have done an amazingly outstanding job! But I am sure you have had your hands full. You WILL be in ym thoughts and prayers