Friday, December 14, 2007

Independence

Ever since Lexi was about one year old, I KNEW that she made the rules. I battled it for a while and caused myself a lot of strife over small things.


It probably took me about a year to really learn to LET GO of the small things with her. So now, instead of fighting her independence, I try to embrace it.

This can be hard when it comes to things that I CAN'T or WON'T budge on. But on all the other things, it is a continual lesson for me to remember to "LET GO".


Take her hair, for instance. I really love to have the girls hair fixed every day. But recently, Lexi has decided she would brush it and put a headband in it (which is fine, but it does often have the "fresh out of bed" look). The past week, she has branched out from the headband, and is experimenting with pony-tails.


Since she is 4, she doesn't really know HOW to do it, but she is determined to do her own side pony-tail (what is this, the 80's?). And she will not let me help.


I love this determined part of her. She learns quickly and practices until she does things right. Maybe soon I can have HER fix Jordyn and Peyton's hair!


5 comments:

Katie said...

I think it is great that you recognize her independence as what it is, rather than just thinking that she is "being difficult." I am sure that as a parent, sometimes it is easier to just do it yourself, but I am reminded of a video on America's Funniest Home Videos of a small boy trying to poor himself a glass of juice while the cup sat on the kitchen floor. He kept spilling and spilling (keep in mind that his mom was video-taping this) and FINALLY when he got to the last drops of what was left in the bottle of juice he managed to get a small amount in his cup. That taught me a lesson in patience, and allowing children to develop in more ways that what we lay out for them. Way to go Lexie!

Eliza2006 said...

I love Lexi. Her hair looks, um, great! I remember being about 5 years old and standing in the bathroom fixing my hair until my arms hurt from it. It obviously did wonders for me...look how cute my hair is now!

Tiffany

britt said...

that is so cute! Ame does the same thing sometimes. Luckily she still lets me fix it for important things.

Beth said...

Lexi, Lexi. I love the look on her face in those pictures. So proud of herself.

julie said...

Ava has been the same way about her hair lately too! I have to beg her to let me fix it at all. So most of the time she just looks homeless. And the days she has to pick her own clothes are even worse! What is a mother to do?