Sunday, December 02, 2007

Christmas Traditions




I really want to make and keep Christmas traditions. Its amazing what a new outlook you can gain on life when you have kids. I have so much fun doing things because THEY have fun doing things. It helps me get over my naturally boring self.


For example, we were putting up all of our Christmas decor the other night. I have like 5 or 6 big bins full of stuff, and I take most my normal pics and decor down and replace them with Christmas Christmas Christmas! They were squealing with delight at each ornament and light we pulled from the storage boxes. This excitement helped me to not let my mind wander to thoughts of "ugh, I can't believe I'll have to take ALL of this STUFF down in just a few weeks". Tucker says I sabotage the good by dwelling on the bad. So I'm working on it!


And then yesterday was lights on the outside. I really like lights on the outside, it feels festive. This is only our second or third year putting them up. But I broke them all last year when I tore them off the roof like a madwoman (I think it was Feb by then and I was sick of them up!). So we had to buy new ones this year.


Around the 4th hour we'd been working on this project (well, really Tucker did most the work, but, hey, someone's gotta keep Peyton off the ladder, out of the street and from eating dirt!). Anyway, we were starting to get a irritated at eachother, arguing over where we should start and stop the lights, how we should connect them, if we should do all or part of the roof, etc. I said "Maybe this isn't work it! Maybe we aren't "lights" type people! Maybe we're doing something wrong for this to be so frustrating!".


But we persevered and did it and they are pretty. They are the traditional big bulbs on top, with white icicles hanging from them. It doesn't sound as good as it looks. Got 'em at Wal-Mart.

6 comments:

britt said...

We have decorated the "inside" of our house and talked abour lights outside, but whether or not QUinn will actually do it, we will see. I know what you mean about festive it feels to drive up to your house with it all lit up. Ame really loved decorating with me this year. That made it even more fun, you are right!

Tara said...

I am debating that same issue of lights or no lights outside. It seems like alot of work, but it is OH SO FESTIVE!!! Your house looks great! Is Pey Pey good at leaving the tree alone? Unfortunately, Eddie is NOT. :)

Chris Grover said...

Does Tucker want to come hang lights at the Grover house? Chris has kinda boycotted that, but I think I may just break him yet! I'm sure everything looks beautiful and the effort is sooo worth it to see how excited the kids get! You will have to take some after pics so we can see the finished products!

Debbie said...

i was determined that this was going to be the year we finally put lights on our house and i did it:)

Jill said...

Mike hates doing lights, too. Last year he didn't put them up and the girls were devastated! This year...half are up and then it snowed big time. We may just have half the house done. go figure! Hey, from your comment on my blog..My Scene is a type of barbie doll and my girls don't even have them anymore, but they have a bracelet that they made an ornament and since it was on the tree, they had to say they liked it! Crazies....

Jill said...

Mike hates doing lights, too. Last year he didn't put them up and the girls were devastated! This year...half are up and then it snowed big time. We may just have half the house done. go figure! Hey, from your comment on my blog..My Scene is a type of barbie doll and my girls don't even have them anymore, but they have a bracelet that they made an ornament and since it was on the tree, they had to say they liked it! Crazies....