Thursday, June 29, 2006

Paper Shredder


I'm probably way behind most people in this area, but I finally bought a paper shredder the other day. I've thought about it for a while, but one of those Dateline or Primetime shows helped me actually jump out there and get one. They did an "experiement" where they ripped up a credit card offer that a man got in the mail (ripped it like four times, like a lot of us probably do). Then he actually taped it back together, changed the return address on the top with a marker and filled it out & sent it in. To his surprise, the credit card company sent him a credit card, even with the evidence of tampering to the application! I was a bit scared by this because we probably throw away like 2 credit card/loan applications per day! Imagine if someone scrambled through our garbage can! Anyway, just a thought and a reminder that you can never be too careful these days!

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2075981&page=1 (here's the link to the article)

2 comments:

Debbie said...

We saw that on 20/20 and it is so scary. There is also a phone number to call and get on the do not mail list for credit card companys, like the do not call list for telemarketers.

I shred EVERYTHING!

Eliza2006 said...

Are you sure you weren't just a little jealous of my fancy shredder? Admit it...you wanna be like me! JK

Tiffany