Thursday, June 15, 2006

Practice AND Patience

Today the girls had their dance recital rehearsal. The dance studio they go to puts on a really major recital - only one per year and they rent out a huge theatre. Anyway, today was a full blown dress rehearsal. I was anxious to see how they would respond to such a new environment. Lexi started freaking out at first, and since she tends to be more tempromental, I assumed it would be a total disaster and she would back out. Instead, she performed like a pro! Acted like she'd been on stage forever. Jordyn, on the other hand, is my little performer and LOVES dance class. Never wavers on whether she wants to go. But today she threw me for a loop! Right when it was her turn to go on stage, she freaked out and started crying hysterically! Once she gets like this, there is NOTHING you could say or do to change her mind. So, she didn't do her dance that she's been practicing for 7 months.

Soooo, this is one of those hard times as a parent where you want to be mad and frustrated but you also want to protect their tender little feelings! I just told her its okay to be scared and nervous. But she was also sad that she missed out. So I told her she'd get a second chance tomorrow at the REAL recital and she is promising to do it. I took the girls to Target and let them pick out any barbie they wanted, but it has to sit on the counter until after they dance tomorrow night. (Hey, sometimes bribary is your ONLY option!).

3 comments:

Eliza2006 said...

I believe in bribary 100%! Can't wait to see recital pics tomorrow.

Tiff

Chris Grover said...

Oh Jamie! I'm sure kids are full of surprises! Just when you think you can predict how they will react to something, they decide to keep you on your toes! I'm sure the girls will do WONDERFUL tomorrow! I think it's sooo cute that you've got your girls doing dance and I'm sure they just love it! Good luck tonight! And tell us all about it soon!

Unknown said...

I know the feeling! Luckily once I just decided to leave Savannah she bucked up and did it!